Nursing home recommendation in Raleigh?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by busymama, Jan 18, 2011.

1. busymama

busymama Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the time has come where we are going to have to put my wonderful grandmother in a nursing home. She has lived with my mom in Raleigh for the past 6 years but now is needing around the clock care. The nursing home needs to be in Raleigh because my mom doesn't want to drive more than 5-10 miles to see her everyday (she is the nervous driver type). Does anybody have any experience with any homes in the Raleigh area? I have seen good reviews for Litchford and for Mayview Convalesent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are going to be making appointments to visit them starting this weekend.

2. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

My recommendation is to stay away from Sunrise. And don't overlook the non-chain facilities. Often they are much better than the big name facilities because there is a local family whose name and reputation is resting on how well they care for their residents. Just my two cents, and good luck.

3. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

City of Oaks Nursing home on Bond Street in Raleigh (near New Hope Road and New Bern Ave) is the best I've ever been to. My husband's grandmother was there a few years until she passed away in December. I have been to several in Raleigh when my grandma and great-aunt stayed in different ones. City of Oaks is the cleanest nursing home I've been too with the most helpful and friendly staff.

4. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Springmoor has been recommended to my family.