Obamas back to school speech

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Okeh, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Okeh

Okeh Guest

2. seabee

seabee Guest

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Even Florida GOP chairman Jim Greer, who stirred up a huge amount of stink on this, has now reviewed the speech and said it is a speech any President should give and now fully intends for his children to watch it.

Saw him on ABC evening news eat this bit of Crow

4. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Just read the whole thing. This is just too much for elementary kids to sit through & should be directed more at high schoolers in my opinion(again, take it for what it's worth--LOL). Iknow my kids are not going to sit through this & actually pay attention. I'm okay w/ what was said except for him mentioning 3 times about if you quit on yourself you quit on your country. Just don't agree w/ that. Some kids can not finish school due to disabilities. NOT for a lack of trying but some age out or some just can't do it. Doesn't mean they quit on their country. Some (MY own family mind you) have to quit due to unforseen circumstances. But, they've gone back. Does that mean they quit on their country?---no. since I've read the speech, I will let my kids see it. However, I will ask them questions for sure! I've had teachers in the past push their own political views on the kids & I disagree w/ that. the classroom is NOT the place to do that & I just hope this does not turn into that opportunity for some to try it again. Now, I will be interested to see what the teachers are going to do after this speech.

5. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

Exactly. I think that parents should know ahead of time what the teachers are going to choose to say about it. I too see this as an opportunity for a teacher to impart their own political views (either way mind you) and that's not right. The way the teacher takes the discussion etc. is going to be even more influential than the 20 seconds that a child is actually going to listen to this speech.

6. XLSweetTea

XLSweetTea Well-Known Member

considering they've had a week to change the speech, the one released most likely bares no resemblance to the one originally intended so they probably left out the part about getting all "weed-weed" up. Funny, right after he said that he just up and disappeared for a couple of weeks. Wonder why?

7. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray:

8. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very very biased opinion.

9. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

no more calls please....we have a winner.

10. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

DD is 13. I said, "Do you want to participate?"

She said, "Yeah, it'll get me out of class"

So there you have it.

11. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Howso?

12. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Historic or not he is not telling my child anything that his father and I don't already tell him. You have to study hard and work hard to amount to something. No free rides on this ship, bucko.

I'm just not going to subject my son to his boring babble. He doesn't half listen to me when I tell him those same things. Just like Abdulina said that speech is geared more towards older kids anyway. But even still, what makes Obama think any child going to listen to his "I was raised by a single mother so if I can do it you can raise to success like I did" spiel we've all heard a million times?

13. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

Exactly. I decided my son doesn't need to listen either.

14. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yeah, keep them out because it'll be boring. Why don't you just excuse them from math or literature class too. Then your spoiled child can be real productive in society.

15. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Kinda like you?

16. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

Yeah, make them watch it because you think it's a good idea and anything that comes out of Obama's mouth is like gospel. :roll:

17. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

ours is 3rd grade. He will be allowed to listen today. We do not agree with Obama on most thinkgs, but do not feel that listening will hurt him. Besides the speach has probably been toned down due to all the fuss. I think the big fuss, was not over the speach itself, but the dept of educations plan to have the kids write how they "can help the president".

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Dang. That was a little harsh, Harv.

19. lisymoe

lisymoe Member

Listening is ONE thing....

Listening to this speech is one thing....both of my boys were part of the debates from both sides etc. during the election time....(and might I add we had a divided household, but that is the beauty of America). It is good to introduce your children to both sides, begin on that path of them being able to cultivate their own beliefs and political views...but to REQUIRE an essay, to make it MANDATORY, requiring them to enter into some sort of political debate....ah...nah....they take religion out of school, but yet politics is ok......I don't get it.....

20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I just think it is silly to keep your kids out because it would be 'boring'. I would much rather my child see this speech than be sequestered in some gymnasium where they would probably goof off. Why not let your child watch and keep an open mind to decide for themselves. Raise your kids the way you want, but give them a dang chance to understand the entire world and not just the little bits and pieces you agree with.

Besides, it is nothing more than a 'stay in school' message anyway. Big whoop.