old vw van

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Any old hippies out there? Anyone ever drive an old VW van? I am curious about how they handle and drive and how they are on gas mileage and such. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Mazda cause it has a transmission that's about to go and my Blazer hasn't run in a few years. Both vehicles need more work then I can afford to invest right now. I figure if I can barter, trade, sell or what ever and in turn get an old vw van. Over the next two years while I am at school get work on it done to restore it. Have a decent vehicle with good gas mileage I can take my dogs in or even go and pick up stuff at Lowes home improvement with out having to bother people to take me there in their pick up or van. I am currently tooling around in a vw bug convertible and enjoying the ride. And wondering if the old vw vans were fun to drive.

Get one that needs some work but would fix up like this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Gas, grass or ***....nobody rides for free.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

My BIL LOVES the VW vans. He has bought MANY over the past 10 years and restored them. Currently he has 4 of them.

4. Rockyv58

From what I am seeing, fully restored ones can bring a big pricetag

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

My parents had one when I was a kid but I don't remember much about it.

I'm not sure about the old vans, but old beetles are selling for top $. If your goal is to get a VW bus because they are cool and you want to restore it, etc thats one thing, but if you are looking to get a small older van to save money you may be disappointed.

If your goal is cheap transportation, I've noticed a lot of Hispanics driving older Ford, Dodge and Chrysler minivans. They are pretty good at stretching their dollars. Might be worth a look.

6. wadespeed1

wadespeed1 Active Member

If you like to push your vehicle from point A to point B, VW is a great choice. In fact, the latest rage is to strip the VW drivetrain from the older vans and upgrade to Subaru power. That sounds like fun, but you would probably need to embrace the idea of constant roadside repair.

I've heard mega-mileage reports on the mid engined Toyota Previa. While not as cool amongst the Granola crowd, it's far cheaper and won't require the occasional push. Full sized American Vans are hard to beat too.

7. ncroxx

ncroxx Well-Known Member

memories

Man I learned how to drive a blue and white one just like the red one pictured. No a/c,no power windows,manual shift and I could get out and run faster than it would take off........but it was the COOLEST thing ive driven before or since ! (pretty sheltered life huh lol) I was a surfer than,and me and and 3 friends fit in it comfortably with all our boards and gear. Ive always said if I can find another one in decent shape Im buying it!

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

General VW Van info here....
    Older= Slower
    NO AC, even if it has AC,
    1960-1970-1980 German AC Is just NOT USA AC COLD.
    (General older German Car FACT)

Not too hard to work on for the DIY handy types, you will need the BACK for all the PARTS you will need to haul around.

then there is the RUST issue.... they RUST, RUST & then RUST some more...Be on the lookout for shoddy Rust repair ... it comes back...

The Older the van the harder is is to find REAL good OE parts...all those windows... leaks... water = rust, see above.

The Subie Conversion is uber cool- tons of on line info...

10. Rockyv58

I'm starting to think maybe something newer like a 1968-1979 bay window style. It seams the ones prior to 68 had one long bench up front. I would like to be able to go to the back with out having to get out of the drivers door and walk all the way around to the sliding door on the other side.

If anything I am thinking of maybe an old dog. One that would require a full restore. Full frame off. This way the braking system can be updated to disk and get rid of the 14" in place of 18" wheels. And maybe a VW crate engine with AC. Right now its still wishful thinking. Still don't know how one of those things drive. And yea I know I am talking big bucks for what I am talking about. But you got to admit the ones that are restored are totally awesome looking.

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member