Old Wives' Tales: Share Your Secrets

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by HomeGirl, Dec 2, 2009.

1. HomeGirl

HomeGirl Well-Known Member

From folk-lore and urban legend to home remedies and household hints, my grandma sure could share the tales. (I should have written them down).

According to the ring around the moon tonight, we'll have snow in 10 days!!! Whether true or false, what Old Wives' Tales have been along passed to you?

Anyhoo, That's what got me to thinking about old sayings tonight... a beautiful and clear circle around the moon (though the picture is not quite as beautiful and clear).

[​IMG]

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

My old wife was a psycho.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

^coffee meet keyboard.

4. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Snow would be wonderful! It would really help to put me in the holiday spirit.

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I can not think of any old wives tales off hand but my old wife had a tail and horns and carried a pitch fork. :)

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I'm sensing a trend......

7. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

My mother in law grew up (and still lives) in a very rural part of Brazil on the Amazon, and some of the weird home remedies and wives tales she has have surprisingly proven true for me!

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

One I've heard since I've been here in NC, and I think its proven itself true more times than not;

If there is a thunder and lightening storm in the winter, it will snow within 10 days.

9. Rockyv58

Well between the ring around the moon last night and the thunderstorms (or at least storms) we are suppose to get tonight, maybe by next weekend we will get a dusting of snow.

10. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

My husband said he always heard that if you throw a dead snake up in a tree, it will rain..........ALOT. He tried it once and it worked. :lol:

11. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

Its not winter yet. Its still fall so that doesn't work.

12. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

My dad always said if you want it to rain...wash the car. Does that count? :lol: The oldtimers where I grew up used to say something about the severity of winter being related to the amount of black vs orange on a fuzzy caterpillar (one of those rust and black colored ones...I think they called them WoolyBears or something)

13. Rockyv58

Wishful thinking and trying to avoid the winter rush of snow :)

14. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

One of my personal favorites as well.

15. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Drop a set of metal keys down the back (spine) of a person with a nose bleed it will do away, yes it works, have used it at the karate school.:lol:

16. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

If you are selling your house: Bury a statue of St Joesph, upside down, in the back yard and it will sell.

[​IMG]

Put this lawn jockey statue in your front yard and you'll have conservatives out-bidding each other to buy your home.:jester:
    [​IMG]

17. Rockyv58

I heard on two different news channels this morning that on Saturday with the rain in our area there may be a chance of snow flurries in the northern NC counties into VA.

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'll be curious to see if there isn't some precip in our hometown in SW Virginia on Dec 5th. It's a running joke due to a birthday in the family on that day. It nearly always does something. :mrgreen:

19. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Greg Fishel had some stats last year, and said that was not true. Just saying.

20. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I've heard when Butch Davis plays NC State, there will always be a loss for him.