OMG, nn sleds ANYWHERE!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KB2, Jan 29, 2010.

1. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

I have called at least 1 or 2 each of the following stores (some near 40/42 & some near Cary where I work), out of them all only Dicks, Ace Hardware, Lowes, & Toys R US actually even sell them, but they were sold out TWO days ago!! Why don't Target Wal-mart & K-mart even carry them??

My co-worker said when she lived in CA even L.A. Stores carried them & they NEVER get snow.

WTH?? Anyone know anywhere else I could try?

Target
    Wal-Mart
    Kmart
    Toys-R-US
    Dicks
    Home Depot
    Lowes
    Ace Hardware
    BJ's
    Costco
    Ollie's
    Big Lots
    Dollar General

Thanks,
    -K

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Briggs Hardware on Atlantic Ave.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Try using a raft or float. It's better than nothing, and softer I imagine.

4. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

Thank you, unfortunately Briggs is sold out too.

I have one of the round inflatable w/handles kind from when we lived in VA, which will be good, but I have 2 boys & was hoping for a 2-person sled. We had a 2-person long plastic in VA, but it broke.

I think I might try using the little inflatable bath-tub I used for for my 4-year old when he was a baby.
    He would still fit in it. LOL!!

5. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Since there will be ice, call a flooring place an ask if they have scraps of linoleum lying around. Best sled I ever owned was in that form. Will make sledding slick as snot on a doorknob.

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Along those lines you could also go the inner tube route. Most tire places would have them.

7. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Actually Bed Bath & Beyond

has tons left ... the only location tho is Strickland & 6 Forks. They had sold out at the other locations & this location is the main stocking facility.

They are 9.99. And had 30+ left earlier around the 11-12 hour

Good luck

8. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

ditto

9. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Best thing to use is summer rafts or boogie boards. We have 7 sleds here (buy them at yardsales & such) & still like to use all our pool floats as well. Good luck & I'll keep an eye out later today for them. Kids get creative. You'd be surprised what imaginations can come up with--LOL. Our problem is boots for my son. He has literally only one pair of shoes that he can wear. Well, that pair busted completely apart on Monday at basketball practice. We glued it back together w/ super glue. Trouble is I can't get him new shoes b/c his foot is on order and a different size now. That & the other leg is getting an AFO(brace) & he needs that to try on the shoes. So, suggestions on keeping this one dry, let me know. Garbage bag is all i can think of but maybe you all have some different ideas. Didn't mean to hijack anything. For sled,.... summer rafts are the best.

Stephanie--mom to 7

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I feel sorry for the guy we bought three of the old-fashioned sleds with the runners from last weekend. Bet he coulda got double what we paid for them now. :jester: Glad we did though, because we left ours in VA at Christmas. Whoops.

11. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great ideas!! I think I do have some pool inflatable tubes, I forgot about those!

I never would have thought Bed & Bath & Beyond would have sleds! Too bad I just can't manage to make it all the way up there. :(

2-person sled or not, I will just be happy if there is enough snow to sled on!! I love at least one good snow per year. That is all I need to be happy. My first winter here in 2008, there was NO SNOW (well aside from some flurries and sleet) and I was so sad.

Can't think of any good ideas for your boot problem Stephanie. I hope you guys can work that out.

Have fun all!

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

We used bread wrappers inside our boots when I was a kid. Maybe some combination of bread wrappers and duct tape would work for you.

13. From the Sea to NC

From the Sea to NC Well-Known Member

Butchers Wax on your spandex works well for a sled.

14. me&them

me&them Well-Known Member

Try Hudsons in Clayton. I know they had them on their sign outside that they sold them.

15. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

I saw some yesterday at the Ace Hardware in Fuquay-Varina. It is called Stephens and in old town Varina. Don't know if they have any left, but it might be worth a call to see.

16. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

That's what the kids used last time it snowed. They seemed to have a had a blast. The coldness did make them deflate a few times!!

Hope ya have fun!!

17. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I was in Benson a few minutes ago and saw a wooden sled leaned up against the outside of the Flea Market on 301, across from RBC Bank. I didn't stop so no idea how much it cost.

18. MCCx3

MCCx3 Well-Known Member

Old Slip n Slide cut into pieces
    Storage tote lid / garbage can lid
    Shower Curtain
    Coated cardboard box
    Plastic laundry Basket
    Top of toilet lid or washing machine lid
    Obama election sign
    Plastic folding tables

And so on....

8)