Operation Christmas Child

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sassymom, Nov 10, 2011.

1. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I bought my stuff this past Sunday, here's what I got for the Boy and Girl age 5-14:

Bought plastic storage boxes, items for both boxes: toothpaste/brush, 2 bars of soap, 2 washclothes, small bag of peppermints, 2 travel size kleenex, crayons, coloring book, small notepads, gum, small bottle of hand sanitizer (but later realized they ask you not to ship liquids).

Girl - small doll and 1 set of doll clothes
    Boy - 1 set of hotwheel cars and a small ball

The washclothes, I already had a stack that had never been opened/used.
    Most of the other stuff came from the travel section. The Dollar store usually has some good stuff - but I was at Target, thats where I got all my stuff.

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Sassy, i have never heard of that before, looks really great! i just happen to have a shoe box from a new pair of shoes i haven't tossed yet, thanks for posting about it. Also, since i guess it has to be small gifts, Johnson's Pharmacy next door to my office has some cute gifts including a whole display of webkins. Oh wow, Mary Margaret just left my office, she walked in in the middle of me typing this and i was asking her if she ever heard of this program and she said her church does it every year and she just finished filling 2 boxes with all things from the pharmacy. She was telling me more details on the program and it sounds like it is really a blessing to those children that have nothing.:grouphug:

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

My church is the drop off center for our entire area. I have shoe boxes for anyone that wants to participate too! I can pick them back up or you can drop them off in Clayton anytime from 8-5 at our church. This is one of my favorite things to do! PM me if you need or want any information.

Items I have sent:

toothbrushes
    toothpaste
    socks
    book
    bible
    a toy or two (no army men or figurines with weapons as it may go to a kid in a war zone)
    candy (starburst or something individually wrapped. nothing chocolate)
    barrettes
    headbands
    hairbows
    brush/comb
    coloring books
    markers
    baseball cap

Here is Scotty to tell you how!!! (he's the NAtional spokesperson this year.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfVxfUMAyGc

5. sassymom

thanks for all the ideas..

Kaci yes its a great mission.. we are doing our box dedication this Sunday at church. Its an amazing thing to see all these boxes filled to the max going to kids who have nothing.

On the same note as kellbell if you are on the Archer Lodge side I will be glad to pick up as well.

keep the ideas flowing :)

6. KellBell

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

7. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Hey girl!

I like all of the ideas mentioned. I also plan to put small pencils (the kind you don't have to sharpen) and small memo pads for them to write on.

8. sassymom

if you need some small toys let me know.. we still have a few left upstairs that girls didnt use when we packed ours last week... they are mainly for boys..

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

thanks KB, looking forward to stuffing my boxes!

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a childrens charity for this year! I'm always going by KB's church, so its a very convenient drop-off spot! :hurray:

11. sassymom

:cheers:
    have fun shopping :)

12. KellBell

Tassy....go by anytime and get you a box or boxes....the lobby is open 8-5. They are right there when you walk in by the gigantic Christmas tree and lifesize cut-out of Scotty. :mrgreen: PM for any questions...or text me.

13. sassymom

I might need some boxes, Im going by my church tonight and see if we have any left if not I will go grab me some from yall!!!

:mrgreen:

14. KellBell

:mrgreen:

15. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Our church did over 200 boxes this year. the group I teach on Wed nights did 10 of those. its cool that you can track on line where your boxes go.

16. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I always pack mine in clear shoe box size containers. I figure they can probably reuse if for many things; storing food, toys, clothes, toiletries, to carry water, to bathe in.....
    I put pretty tissue paper in first, then cover the stuff so its still a surprise for them! Plus they go through all the boxes at the Boone collection center, and I figure maybe this makes it easier for them?

Don't forget to include the $$ for shipping!