Opinion on new air conditioner

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pj, Apr 6, 2010.

1. pj

pj Well-Known Member

Please help me make a decision. I just moved to the 40/42 area. Central Air went out. Had HVAC service man come out said compressor is grounded, and need a new one or new split unit 2.5 ton. Old system 15 years old, not worth cost of new compressor (RHEEM). Said can install new split unit (15 seer Heil standard grade) and bigger air return, etc for $5,200.00. Waiting for another option on a 13 seer Goodman unit. Said probably be around $4,000.00. Both is a good chunk of money. Anyone have any 0pinion on which is a better unit, and for the money, which is a better choice? Thank you.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Not sure what to tell you. I am sitting here in my hot home. Got Fans in the front window and a borrowed window AC unit in my bedroom. My Rheem unit is also 15 years old. My HVAC guy determined that my air handler is shot and he is researching today if he can even get one for my unit. Heck if you are going to get a new unit anyway. If we have the same unit maybe we can work out some deal and my HVAC guy could go and cannibalize your unit to fix mine.

3. pj

pj Well-Known Member

I hear ya Rocky. Still, Don't know if quotes are too high or normal. Plus, don't know too much about the units being offered. Wish some folks with the units, or knowledge of normal costs would post. That would help. Good luck with your Rheem.

4. Rockyv58

PJ I just PM'd you.

5. Rockyv58

I know my Rheem is on its last legs as well. It was one of those contractor specials. My ac guy told me it would cost between 2 and 5k to replace my unit and that was about two years ago. My house is only 1300 sq ft. I know I have an email off to my accountant to see if there are any tax incentives for new hvac units. But have not heard back from him yet

6. pj

pj Well-Known Member

I was told that it depends on the seer rating, must be 14 or better and depends on how much the unit costs as to how much you can claim on taxes. Up to $1,500 if the unit is $5,000 +. I'm still waiting on quote for a 13 SEER Goodman unit. Will not qualify for rebate because of seer.

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

We paid $4,000. for our Goodman about 3 years ago. Our first unit which was not a goodman only lasted about 9 years!

8. pj

pj Well-Known Member

Do U like the Goodman you put in? Had any problems with it? Thanks

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

No problems with it so far. Of course, in the summer when it is way hot outside it has a hard time keeping up but I think that is par for any unit? Also in the winter when it was really frigid it had a hard time keeping up also. But so far, so good.

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The way I read it the tax credit is for $1,500 (or 30%) when you spend up to $5,000 on any/all home energy improvements that qualify over a two year period (2009 - 2010)

http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-...std_adp.php?p_faqid=5595&p_created=1236876860

11. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Just had a Heil put in, and new compressor...call this guy he was wonderful and he did such a great job, I recommend him to another friend and they were just a thrilled with the price.
    Ashworth..they are in clayton..
    sheri

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Oh, I did remember, last year we had the capaciter? replaced, that's it.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

There will NEVER be another Goodman unit installed on this property. :?Folks............you get what you pay for. I am stuck with this builder grade Goodman crap (IMHO) that is 10 years old and needs to be replaced ASAP. My neighbor had to replace one of his and it was only 6 years old and he'd had it worked on for major repairs like the compressor prior to that. Arctic Air will be doing the work and will be putting in American Standard or Tempstar units within the next couple months. Between the tax incentives and some rebates from Progess Energy, you should do it if you can, IMHO. I've known the owner for years and would trust him with my kids. ; )

14. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

I would recommend American Standard or Trane. Everyone is correct in saying you get what you pay for, and your central AC/heat pump is nothing to skimp on. I know the two most reputable American Standard dealers in the area are Stephenson Heating and Air and Arctic Air. Try giving them both a call and have them compete against each other in price. Never take the first bid. Make sure they are pricing you the same model number units.

Stephenson Heating and Air (919)329-0686
    Arctic Air (919)796-4681

15. pj

pj Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice. It has really helped us make a decision. Artic Air is getting the job. Not cheap, but very reasonable for the job. Again, thank you all for your input!! :)

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:hurray::hurray::hurray: He will treat you right. :cheers: There may be other qualified folks out there and this is certainly nothing against anyone else but he is good people.

17. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Several people I know have a Goodman unit, don't buy it, most people I talk to hate them, lots of break downs with them, and costly repair. That not saying you won't have the same problems with high end unit, but just saying what I have heard. Bought 2 new carrier unit 3 years ago both have broken down 1 time, as the transformer went on both. Only problems we had had.

18. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We replaced our Rheem with a Trane about 11 years ago...no problems at all. It's hard to stop a Trane. I can't remember the name of the company for the life of me but I can see their logo in my head. It was light blue with snow flakes...I think. I had "mommy brain" at the time, a new born. I don't remember the price or the details but DH can tell ya all about it. He has a champagne and appetite though. He doesn't settle for anything less than exactly what he wants...and he's pretty picky. That's why I'm so spoiled. 8)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  19. Rockyv58

PJ let us know what you end up getting.

Well I found out that its going to cost $750.00 to replace a air handler in a 15yo contractor special HVAC unit. And no quarentee that next year the condensor won't go.

Just from reading what other people have said. I definitely will not get a goodman.

20. pj

pj Well-Known Member

ARTIC AIR is the BOMB

Well, we went with Artic Air and got a 15 seer American Standard (Trane) unit and an upgraded varible air, air handler...new thermostat to boot too, all for about $4,500.00. No hidden costs and they worked all day until they finished the job at 9:30 pm. The unit appears to be working great!!! Artic Air workers were sooo professional and very concerned with doing the job right. We are soooo happy we went with them. Buddy Short was a great guy and honest to deal with. We're eligible for the tax credit and a $300. progress engery credit check. (Artic air is doing all the paperwork for us to apply for the credits). All in all was a GREAT experience. I am so very happy. We will definately always use Artic air for all out HVAC needs in the future. PS>.............the unit runs so quiet, it's amazing and it cooled the house down really fast. Hoping it continues to work during the extreme hot summer months and we'll see in the winter how it heats. I feel very confident that if we have any probelms that Buddy will make it right!!! Thanks to all of you for your input. It really made a difference in our decision. Good luck to you Rocky!! :) and if any of you Artic Air guys read this on 4042, Thanks so much. You guys are wonderful.