Orca Kills Trainer

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Feb 25, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

AND this is his 3rd time.
    I surely wouldn't be near him at all EVER!

3. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

4. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

o whale

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

6. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

It's so tragic, but there is a reason why they call it a "killer whale".

7. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

This story broke my heart! Our family was there 2 years ago and I remember this trainer very distinctly! What an awesome job to have and I'm sure she felt like family with this whale and never expected him to turn on her!

8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I believe that if you want to see a wild animal that you should go see it in the wild instead of in captivity. Too many such things have happened,either with circus animals,at zoos etc. or even with wild animals being kept as as so called pets!

9. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We were there a few years ago too. It was just weeks before the new "Believe" show was going to start. We were part of a trial audience where they were working with some of the whales and parts of the program. I remember this trainer as well, and remember she was having some issues getting one of the whales to cooperate. When we went to the dolphin show, they were also having some problems getting them to perform at times.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:iagree: These animals do not belong in captivity. This is not the first time he's attacked and killed someone. It's not the whale's fault. As intelligent as they are, it's probably driving them crazy being in those enclosures.

The chimpanzee that ripped that woman's face off, elephants that kill their trainers..........etc. etc. They are not pets. :?

11. AnnetteL

:cheers:
    even though I know that many people enjoy going to the zoo,circus etc. I've never been to a circus for example for that very reason,I think it's depressing watching them "perform".

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I used to like zoos, but we were at one a few years ago and were watching a polar bear do some really strange head bobbing/weaving behavoir. They actually had a plaque up to explain that is was a consequence of being in captivity. Broke my heart. Never been to another one. DS wants to see the circus that is in town this weekend........................I can't take him. I just can't. :?

13. AnnetteL

I understand completely,I'm the same way!

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I have never taken my daughter to a circus or zoo because I believe the animals should be in their natural habitat. I do understand some go to the zoo because they have been hurt but I still will not take her.

Had a parent ask to take her once and I politely stated that we just don't do zoos and the parent stated that all children should experience those and the circus. I told her to bring hers up her way and I'll do the same on my end. People, people.

Sherry

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

the whole thing is tragic and sad, this trainer had been doing it for 17 years and had a true love of these animals according to an interview with her Mom this morning on TV:-(

16. AnnetteL

:iagree:

17. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for the trainer, and for their family.

But here is my twisted thought of the day: If we (humans) consider raw fish sushi, "what does a killer whale consider raw human?"

18. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ya know, that could be taken a few different ways:jester:

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I will say that the NC Zoo is probably one of the best in the country...maybe the world. I understand the concern for the animals in captivity, but I'm not against them being kept in a natural environment if they have plenty of room. This is especially so, if they are bred into captivity. The reason is that I believe that they can inspire people through witnessing their beauty that there are reasons to preserve them and their natural habitats. Seeing these animals in the wild are not possible for most people and watching them on TV is not like seeing them in person.

These few captive specimens likely benefit the thousands of their like kinds throughout the world.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I get that, I really do. But this polar bear was AT the NC Zoo. It looked so miserable. I just wish there was a happy medium. Of course, there isn't one. Circus acts and performing killer whales, sea lions, etc that are trained like dogs...................I have a WAY bigger problem with.