Parks and Rec

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

2. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Can you tell where they would put this from the picture? I see two new fairly large subdivisions on Polenta are on the planning boards agenda. The area is booming. I know there are those not in favor of growth that are upset about this but some of them are the same people that want more restaurants and shopping in the area. Unfortunately we cannot have our cake (slow/no growth) and eat it (restaurants/grocery/etc) too.

3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

It appears to me to be at the corner of Matthews and Polenta, diagonally opposite the substation.

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Not in favor of paying more taxes!! I know stuff is needed but how much can everyone pay before they can't pay their own bills.... how many jobs must people have to work? We need lots of stuff at this point like roads, etc.... sheewww.........JMO...

Kelyel and Auxie like this.
  5. cynadon

How bout the way they drew it out around F.P.'s home. Maybe she can be the honorary mayor and throw out the first pitch.

6. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

OMG I just saw that since you mentioned it!!!! She can't be thrilled with that!!! They would have to pay me 1 million to move!!! That is God Awful to do that to someone!!! (of course, unless she doesn't mind!!!)

Auxie likes this.
  7. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

We can easily pay for it with that HUGE tax break we just received!. All kidding aside, I would rather pay the taxes for this than watch subdivision after subdivision going up. The two new subdivisions aren’t that large (106 lots) but their location is filling in the gaps. One just west of Matthew and one just east of Matthews on Cleveland Rd.

8. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Wasnt this where they were trying to get the county to establish a park anyway?

I dunno, lately Ive been hearing so many folks compain about McGees (50/210) blowing up with subdivisions, Im wondering if we will incorporate. Which again is funny as most of the folks I hear live in 5 year old subdivisions themselves.

9. cynadon

No, Mrs Booker was trying to donate the little triangle across the road to the county. I'm pretty sure she's not donating the million dollar plus property being talked about now. Sounds to me like like someones good idea/dream than an actual plan.

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Correction: This area has already BOOMED.

Growth is already here and has been for a decade or more. It is high time something like this is being done. Growth will happen regardless. It is how you manage it that matters. This is finally a start in the right direction.

Rockyv58, cynadon and poppin cork like this.
  11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Our taxers are ridiculously low compared to many other places. The math works out to $40 for every $100,000 in property value, I believe. You could hold a yard sale to cover it.

poppin cork likes this.
  12. ncmingomama

ncmingomama Member

Where they just put in the 4 way stop sign? Where they cut down the woods about a year ago? Where it's so congested during times of before and after school? No, I vote to put a park by Pelican Ice. That's on a main road. Putting it near the 4 way intersection is right in the middle of an area of homes. I sure don't see that as being a good location. The roads are not nearly wide enough to support the amount of traffic that would occur.

13. jesse82nc

There is already a park at Pelicans, there's like 5 baseball fields and 3 soccer fields, along with the batting cages.

14. ncmingomama

ncmingomama Member

You are exactly right....so if there is need for expansion, do it closer to those fields.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see them add a dog park

16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Our taxers are ridiculously low compared to many other places. The math works out to $40 for every $100,000 in property value, I believe. You could hold a yard sale to cover it.

You can pay it for me!!!! With everything else going up except my paycheck, (gas, food, taxes, homeowners ins., car insurance, etc.) .......one more thing to pay for is just too much........surely they can get the money by adding some $$$ onto all the new houses they sell!!! or better yet, charge to get into the park... so if you use it you pay, if you don't use it you shouldn't pay :)

Kelyel and Auxie like this.
  17. jesse82nc

If only that's the way it worked. Maybe since I don't have kids, I shouldn't have to pay for the schools either? I don't use them, why should I have to pay?

Auxie, lgb0250, tassy and 4 others like this.
  18. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't use I40 to get to work either. I shouldn't have to pay for more lanes or any interstate since I work in JoCo. And since I'm not presently poor, I have no need for clinics or welfare. Lets cut out all I don't need. That's how we make a great community.

Hught and cynadon like this.
  19. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

As Jesse alluded to, in a way, I'll gladly pay for schools because I don't want to live in a world with dumb kids who grow up to be dumb adults. It isn't really an option not to. My house hasn't burned down, but I pay fire district taxes. I will also gladly pay for parks for my own use as well as to give the enormous multitude of children in this area an outlet that keeps them engaged, healthy, and out of trouble. Sounds like $40 well spent to me.

This area has no amenities. Zero. Not a single park. Not a single walking trail. Nothing. Yet it is one of the most densely populated places around and growing. The existing 'park' that is GCAA fields is not a park. It is private land that is used for sports. You can't actually walk your dog there and your kids can't ride their scooters or climb on the monkey bars (there aren't any). GCAA fields are also a hodge-podge of poorly planned facilities that hasn't kept up with demand, but the most has been made from what they have. They also lease fields from C3 and area schools, which makes it harder to manage at times.

Honestly, I am not blind to the fact that budgets can be tight for some families. However, $40 is a single night out for two at the movies these days. I think we can all do without seeing the latest Adam Sandler flick or whatever to make this happen for the area.

jesse82nc, Hught, DWK and 1 other person like this.
  20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

You don't think it would be wiser to spread things out a bit instead of cramming everything into one place? Regardless, it is kind of a moot point when you have the option/ability to buy suitable land in one place and not the other.