PETA employees arrested

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by Anonymous, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

2. JustAThought

JustAThought Well-Known Member

Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 5:51 PM
    To:, Pat
    Subject: PETA's Response to me

From a friend who wrote to PETA. Still leaves some unanswered questions for me. Don't they have a method of disposing the animals legally? Did they tell the shelter they were going to try to get the animals homes and then didn't bother to try? I think they should have fired both employees immediately. The damage from this could be tremendous.

Holly

Thank you for contacting PETA about the euthanization of dogs and cats in North Carolina.

It is against PETA’s policy to put the bodies of animals in dumpsters, and we are appalled that a member of our staff apparently did that. There is no excuse for that and, despite the fact that she is a caring soul, we have suspended her from work.

PETA has always supported and spoken openly about euthanasia. It is easy to throw stones at those doing the dirty work for society, but euthanasia is a necessary evil until the massive animal overpopulation problem can be solved. We invite anyone who can offer a home to any animal, pay for one or a hundred spay/neuter surgeries, or persuade others not to go to a pet shop or breeder, to please join us in doing these things. In the last year, we have spayed/neutered more than 7,600 dogs and cats, including feral animals, many free of charge and all others at well below our own costs. Support for this program is much needed.

To clarify, we do not run an adoption facility, although we do place animals, approximately 360 in the last year, despite having run out of friends and family members to approach. We are a “shelter of last resort,” taking in and giving a painless death in loving arms to animals who would otherwise have been shot with a .22 or gassed in a windowless metal box, which is what happened in North Carolina before PETA offered free euthanasia services to agencies there. North Carolina has the second highest rate per capita of euthanasia in the country—35 animals killed annually for every 1,000 residents—and most do not die a humane death. Sadly, the shelters we work with have no adoption programs or hours set aside for adoption. At the Bertie County dog shelter, residents were throwing unwanted dogs over an 8-foot-high fence, where they became infected or injured by other sick or aggressive dogs from whom they could not escape. Bertie County also had no facility for cats and used to let them go to breed in the woods and fend for themselves until PETA built a shelter for them this year. PETA has begged for years, through formal proposals and numerous meetings to have the county allow PETA to implement an adoption program as part of a larger picture of sheltering that would also include a spay neuter program, a humane education program, 24/7 emergency services, and rabies clinics.

We try never to take in adoptable animals unless we know we have a home for them—only those who are mange-covered, have parvovirus, are injured, old, unsocialized from life on a chain, or unwanted and for whom there are no good homes available. We also work at the roots, spending more than $240,000 in one North Carolina county alone, to provide shelter in winter for animals left out in the cold, to spay/neuter, to get vet care for animals in dire straits, to send Bertie County’s one animal control officer to professional training, to pay a cleaner to maintain two shelters, and much more.

We have always outspokenly advocated fixing the problems of overpopulation through practical methods. Sadly, those stories don’t get coverage in the media.

We urge you to look closer and do your part to help us help these animals. For information and resources on how to do that, visit HelpingAnimals.com.

Sincerely,

The PETA Staff

PETA.org

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

magesticats@net-change.com writes:

Wow, what an exciting day it'S been. I'll try to start at the beginning. this actually started about 2 years ago. We don't really have an SPCA here in the 2 counties. Bertie and Hertford. We have Animal Control to hold the animals. And the cats and dogs, puppies and kittens that are dropped off at the 2 vets here .The vets do try to hold them for a little while and then PETA comes and takes them back to Virginia Beach to "find them good homes". They pick up at all the animal controls anD the vets. I live way out in the woods. nothing here but the nearest town is Ahoskie. a very small town with one Wal Mart as the only shopping store. Well, the year before last and last year there were a number of cats and dogs found dead in the dumpsters , once behind the Chinise resturant and then behind the Piggley wiggley. We all thought the local animal control or whoever picks up animals from the vets that are put to sleep just got lazy and put them there. Well, last night the police, undercover , followed PETA from My vets office where they just picked up some wonderful kittens, to find them homes. These kittens were just weaned and very sweet. this is the vet where I take pictures and work part time. Anyway, they put the kittens in the van [PETA] and killed them and took them to the dumpster at Piggley Wiggley. Where the police got them. they were actually caught in the act of dumping dead animals in the dumpster. There were a lot of animals so the police called My vet, Dr. Proctor, and animal control to come and identify the animals. Sure enough they got them. They were both PETA people. They were held in the local jail for while, not sure how long. Now it's all over the news. YEAH. My vet is so angry, He is calling and being interviewed by all the local news people. We want the word spread all over the world. who would think in a tiny little town like this is where it's all going to go down? That's probably why they thought they could get away with it. Oh, they also got them for illegal drugs. The van was full of the drugs. Email everyone and get the word out. If any stations will pick this up or want to know about it, My vet can tell them. It's in Ahoskie, N.C. His name is Dr. Patrick Proctor. I'm so excited they finally got caught. and sick over what has happened. I just was petting and loving on those kittens yesterday. This really shows the true PETA. Of course, PETA won't make a statement yet and will probably say they weren't associated with this. But they were. Finally they are caught! Trudy Jackson Magesticats Bengals Coordinator S.E. Bengal Rescue http://www.magesticdesigns.com/

4. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

I don't understand. Why would they take these animals just to kill them? What possible motive could there be?

5. JustAThought

Their motive is that they didn't want them to die in the gas chamber.
    That is what they are saying. And I do believe them.
    The gas chamber is the most disgusting horrible thing.

This is going to bring gas chambers in NC out nationally.

You Pro Gassers are really going to be in the minority~!

6. Wayne Stollings

PETA President Denounces Dumping, Defends Accused Workers

By SUE LINDSEY
    Associated Press Writer

(AP) -- Dumping the bodies of dead dogs and cats in the garbage is wrong, but the president of Norfolk-based People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said Friday that animal cruelty charges against two employees won't stick.

"It's hideous," Ingrid Newkirk, president of the animal rights group, said of the dumping. "I think this is so shocking it's bound to hurt our work."

But she told a news conference there was no indication of "pain or suffering" among the 18 animals that police in Ahoskie, N.C., found Wednesday in a shopping center garbage bin or the 13 found in a van registered to PETA. The animals received lethal injections, Newkirk said.

Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, and Andrew Benjamin Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, appeared Friday in Hertford County District Court in Winton, N.C., and their trial was set for July 19. Each faces 31 felony charges of animal cruelty and nine misdemeanor counts -- eight of illegal disposal of dead animals and one of trespassing.

Each felony charge carries a maximum of 15 months in jail, and the maximum term for each misdemeanor is 60 days.

Investigators arrested the two workers after staking out a garbage bin where animals had previously been dumped, police said Thursday.

Newkirk said the workers were picking up animals to be brought to PETA headquarters in Norfolk for euthanization.

Veterinarians and animal control officers said the PETA workers had promised to find homes for the animals rather than euthanize them, according to police.

"PETA has never made a secret of the fact that most of the animals picked up in North Carolina are euthanized," Newkirk said.

Neither police nor PETA offered any theory on why the animals might have been dumped. Newkirk said no one from PETA noticed that over several weeks Hinkle was returning from her weekly trips to North Carolina without animals to be euthanized.

PETA spokeswoman Colleen O'Brien said the organization euthanizes animals by lethal injection, which it considers more humane than shooting or gassing them in groups, as some counties do.

Hinkle was suspended following the arrest, but Cook, a new employee, was not. Hinkle has been with PETA for two years in its community animal project division.

Neither Hinkle nor Cook had any comment as they left court.

Newkirk said PETA also runs a program in the three North Carolina counties to sterilize animals, and has encouraged them to set up programs for animal adoptions.

PETA has euthanized animals for years. In Virginia last year, the activist group euthanized 2,278 animals, sterilized 7,641 and found homes for 361.

http://www.wavy.com/global/story.asp?s=3482974&ClientType=Printable

7. Animal lover

My questions are directed at someone who has knowledge and mental stability.

8. JustAThought

What saving grace and JCAPL are doing with dogs from the shelter is exactly the same!

They are saying that these dogs are going to be rehomed but they are dying up in NEw york!!

Animal lOver
    you never answered.. do you think the sheriff was in the right to kill the strays???

9. Animal lover

Oh go back to your wedding gowns.

10. JustAThought

excuse me??
    what is that supposed to mean?

You never answered the question.. do you agree with the sheriff that is killing the strays?

11. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Doctor, Doctor I've a split personality.

Well, you'd better both sit down then! :lol:

12. JustAThought

take any dogs to sternberg this week??|

13. Wayne Stollings

No, I think they were giving PETA a chance to "save" them first ... :roll:

14. JustAThought

Amen Satan

15. Wayne Stollings

So why do you think PETA killed them before giving them a chance?

16. JustAThought

[
    So why do you think PETA killed them before giving them a chance?[/quote]

because they are animal hating vegetarians.
    they are the devil and like jcapl and saving grace, they are getting called out for what they really are.

walking vegetables

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:roll:
    :lol:

19. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

:roll:

20. Wayne Stollings