Polenta kids to get cursive and 24 computers

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ron Still, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

"Since the Common Core State Standards were introduced two years ago, 44 states have adopted the guidelines. Those states have also debated whether to keep cursive in their curriculum. Opponents of the move to eliminate cursive teaching from mandatory curriculum argue, for example, that having the skill develops children's ability to read. Supporters say the skill is archaic and unnecessary in the digital age."

Common Core Children are supposed to have keyboard proficiency by 4th grade, regardless how much access to computers they may have. Perhaps they could provide the cardboard keyboards for fingering exercises. I held one the other day that was used in a piano class that didn't have pianos.

Most corporate donors have guidelines controlling who gets donated equipment and how it may be used. Triangle United Way permits me to join other agencies in providing refurbished computers to K-12 school children and senior citizens, but not to others.

My wife is a National Board Certified teacher with many years of teaching experience in public schools, including Johnston's. She knows the needs of the schools and teachers every since the first plop on the floor as she received her one pack of paper for the year.

I served North Carolina government more than 20 years acquiring and providing information to educate private individuals and government agencies around the world. I now head a small non-profit which for ten years has been providing free clothing, food, toys, medicine discounts, free access to computers and printers, secured $710,000 in free books for local residents, and built a 200,000 book lending library collection (now up for sale to cover the money we've been paying for the monthly building costs). In the last 30 days the library gave 40,000 free children's books to schools and libraries for the children to read, rather than make a quick $40,000 selling them to pay our own bills.

In August, we placed our first two computers and offered to give another 24 to children attending Polenta Elementary, subject to availability. To help a child's education by donating a computer, send $65 to Basic Needs Ministry, 1413 Kenbrook Dr., Garner, NC 27529-4447. For more information, please call Ron Still at Basic Needs Ministry 919-772-2082.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I am homeschooling my child. Can I get a computer for his use if I send you $65?

Thanks

3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I'll handle PR and advertising for half salary.

4. Ron Still

Giving books away vs. paying the rent

Since the library must close, our goal was how to keep the most books in the area for the children and ready for reading. We did what Wake County does with its book sale: let the public schools and libraries select whatever they want for free, before the public got to come in. Although this reduced the profits to the library, all taxpayers benefit by not spending $1,300,000 to purchase these same books for the schools and libraries. Since October, Cleveland Library has given away $700,000 in new books to the public from publisher HMH - and $600,000 to the schools and libraries.

The library books sold in August permitted us to pay our August and September rent albeit late. We are still liable to the landlord for $16,000-$24,000 in rent through April.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. Ron Still

It's a deal. Half of nothing is nothing.

It's a deal. Half of nothing is nothing.

6. Ron Still

Home Schools may get $65 computers

Home School organizations may buy computers directly from Triangle United Way for $65 each. Individual home schools may not buy directly, but must use their group buying power.