Posted on CatDog too..

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by annatinnie, Nov 15, 2010.

1. annatinnie

annatinnie Well-Known Member

Hi:

My husband's best friend for years has made the decision to come and move his ailing mother to AZ with him, where he and his family lives. His mother has a 19 year old cat that is really in bad shape (cannot always get to the litter box, loss of appetite, etc...He would love to move a cat with her, as she is a serious animal lover but this cat would never make the trip, and is quickly ailing with no quality of life.

I really don't have any experience with this, but he wants to have the cat humanely put down. He has already discussed it on the phone with her (he isn't coming to move her for a few weeks yet), and she understands and agrees that she loves the cat more than anything but if she is sickly and unhappy then it's time to make a heartbreaking decision.

Can someone recommend a vet and how much it might cost him so he knows ahead of time? I wouldn't do anything to be in his position, but he wants to do this the right way.

Thanks ahead of time!

2. airwidow

airwidow Guest

Vet suggestion

I don't know how much she would charge, but I would contact Dr. Lash. She is a mobile vet and will actually come to the home, it will cause less distress.

Healthy Pets Mobile Vet - Dr. Sara Lash Offering comprehensive physical examinations and vaccine protocols tailored to your individual pet and its lifestyle and health status. Healthy Pets Mobile Vet will offer junior wellness profiles, adult baseline profiles and especially important, senior profile. Services are offered within a 15 mile radius of the 40/42 intersection.
    P.O. Box 54
    Garner, NC 27529
    919-329-7387
    http://www.drsaralash.com/

If not interested in that, I suggest Stage Rd. Animal Hospital in Angier. They are reasonably priced and they take the ashes of the animal an sprinkle them on a nearby farm, which is somewhat comforting.