Powell's Gardens, Princeton

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by claytonian, May 15, 2010.

1. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some new hosta and came across a description for this place that says they have 1900 varieties. Has anyone ever been here - want to know if it's worthy taking a drive to Princeton. How are the prices (I'm not looking to spend $20 for one plant as I've done that before and for some reason the plants are gone). Thanks.

2. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

Hostas in Princeton

The owner is an older woman, permanently bent over from tending plants for many years and a bit eccentric. We chose 7 plants and brought them to check out. She told us that two out of the seven were 'reserved' and switched them out for two others of the same variety.

It's worth the trip. Prices are about $7.00, if I remember correctly. It is difficult to find, so make sure you have the address.

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I've been there several times also. She is very nice, but definitely eccentric. The permenant stoop, I had to hear all about some infection her eyelashes have that can't be cured. I think it was 2 yrs ago the last time I was there. I find it hard to believe that she actually has 1900 varieties of hosta in that place. AND... everything you see planted in her gardens, she doesn't necessarily sell. She seems to sell the most popular & more recent hostas, and maybe a few hard to find ones.

Funny story, the first time I went I probably bought 5 or 6 hostas, one that i bought was called Stained Glass. I had to ask her if she had it, she directed me to a bunch of potted hosta's under a big tree behind the house and I went and found one I liked. All done shopping, she added up my purchases and off I went. She called me the next night and explained to me that the Stained Glass hosta I bought was one that she propogates from and she would never sell one that big. Ok... it was only 3 divisions in the pot, but she only sells by one division. So she asked me if I would bring it back, and in return for my trouble she would give me a clump of some beautiful Asarum (chinese ginger) that I had admired in one of her gardens.

She also has some pretty daylillies, if you are into those. BUT...I asked her if she had a list, and she gave me about 10 pages of lists for each bed scribbled out in her bad handwriting. I did manage to identify and buy a few that I liked, BUT you can't take them home with you that day. She only digs daylillies in the late summer, and you will only get the bareroot. I'd be sure she also does the same with her iris's.

Directions...it was hard to find the first time. IIRC, you go past a Bojangles and then start looking for some long propane/gas tanks on your left, and she is close to those, but on your right. No big sign, just a small dirty and rusted sign at her driveway, close to the ground. You'll wonder if you're in the right place when you pull in, as you pull right into her front yard and if you have to knock on the door, her son will probably answer, and if its lunchtime, you'll have to wait for them to finish lunch to come help you. Also, don't be alarmed by the stray/ferrel cats, she's got bunches, some that looked like they could use some vet care.

Sorry such a long post, but... just wanted you to be aware before you go.

If you do go, and wouldn't mind, would you let me know if she has many miniature or very small hosta's?? I really love those, and have a growing collection in one area of my garden.

Good luck on your quest for hosta's!

4. whitney

whitney Well-Known Member

I bought some beautiful Iris from her a few years ago and she told me she propagates them and names them. She and her husband (don't know if he is alive now) took a trip to Australia and met with people there that had some of her Iris. I think she belonged to an Iris Society (??!) and sold the new ones she had propagated. At least that was what she indicated at that time!

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

On another hosta note......

Does anyone know what became of Omega Hosta Farm in Clayton? Up until last year, his signs were everywhere in April for his open weekends in May. They are/were located on Mial Plantation Rd (continuation of Shotwell Rd. into Wake Co.) on the left just before you cross over the Neuse River bridge. He had some nice size hostas for reasonable prices, and lots of variety. I'm very sad if he's gone out of business, he was great to talk plants with, very knowledgable.

6. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I'm glad you brought up Omega - I've been going out there for a long time but since I've not seen his signs this year, I started looking elsewhere and came up with Powells. I may have to call out there to see if he's still growing them.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I still use one of his price lists to keep track of all my hosta's on! Please let me know what you find out when you call. Another friend of mine called him last year when we noticed he wasn't open, she left a message on the answering machine and never got a return call.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My SIL grows some of the largest hostas I have ever seen, they are huge!!! They are just the plain ole varigated ones, but people try to buy them off her all the time. She doesn't do anything special, I think they just love where they are at.

Tassy, wanna make a road trip sometime to this Powell Garden? I'd love to see what she has, but I don't wanna go by myself! :oops:

9. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Sure, I'll go. She doesn't have a website or do catalogs anymore, but I found a listing for her on a NC website, her hours are M-Sat. 10-6.

http://www.visitnc.com/listings/view/36777

She should still have a decent display of iris's blooming, daylillies are more in June, except maybe for a few real early bloomers. I'd love to see her iris's, last time i went was after the iris blooms were already gone, I think it was mid-June when I went and it was HOT out in the full sun field!! Let me know if you have a Saturday morning thats good for you and we can go.