Praying Mantis

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by claytonian, May 17, 2010.

1. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Yesterday, my husband and I were sitting on the front porch and I saw a praying mantis nymph (baby mantis) near my foot. After figuring out what it was, I saw another one run across the deck. We looked on the little table between the two of us and counted 6 babies. Next thing I knew, there was one crawling on my arm - ewww. I finally moved out of the chair, turned around to look to see if there were any more, and we counted about 8 more. (No, I didn't kill them.) Has anyone seen an increase in praying mantises on their property this spring?

2. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

That is so funny--I bought my son a Praying Mantis kit and sent my payment for the starter eggs for the kit and the company said that due to a nationwide shortage of praying mantis they could not fulfill my order--so I basically paid for a plastic green cage. Maybe I should tell them to come to your house!!

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

They are awesmom critters!

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I always have tons on my property. The babies are like the size of my pinkie nail! Don't kill them. Isn't there a fine for killing them?

5. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Hmmm, maybe I could market them and sell them. :) No, I won't kill them. I did read that they feed off of bugs so maybe I'll fewer bugs flying around.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

uh oh! We got DS one of those too, but haven't ordered them yet. :?

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

In watering and spraying some of my plants the last few weeks, I have seen several baby praying mantis. They've all been a light brown color and easily mistaken for a small piece of mulch, ot blended with a twig, they were so small and cute!! I love finding them amongst my plants!

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Praying Mantis

[​IMG]

Praying Mantis

[​IMG]

You have much to learn grasshopper

[​IMG]

9. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

We ordered our kit a little while back. We've had the egg in our kit for at least 3 weeks now. The kit said that as many as 150 Mantis could hatch from the same egg. I'm hoping the egg will hatch before school lets out so I can take the babies to school one day to show my son's class. Sadly, the wingless fruit flies I ordered with the kit all died as of this weekend. If I was trying to get rid of the fruit flies, they never would have died ... but I'm sure the mantis egg will hatch before I can buy more fruit flies :) In anycase, if we have a large number of Praying Mantis that hatch from the egg, you are welcome to have some of them for your kit :)