Problem with Home Depot and Flooring

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mingomama, Jan 6, 2017.

1. mingomama

mingomama Well-Known Member

We decided to have Home Depot change the flooring in a bedroom, having them tear out the old carpet and lay a tongue in groove laminate (sewing room).

We went and picked out what I wanted, then paid the $35 fee for them to come out and measure the room. We knew it was approx 150 sq ft, and the product was .79c a sq ft. Of course, we knew there would be additional items, quarter round, threshold, padding, etc we would need to purchase.

However, they came back with a quote of $1440. At first, we thought they were wacko, and made a huge calculation error. I called, and found out that when they install something, the area has to be a minimum of 250 sq feet, and the product has to cost a min of $1.50 a sq foot. So, even though ours was less costly, we would have to pay the increased price to get them to install it. None, I repeat, none of that was made clear to us in talking with anyone. I've written them asking for our $35 measuring fee be refunded. Buyer beware.

So now we have to find someone to install it.

Auxie and Hught like this.
  2. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Have you already purchased the flooring? If not, go check out Thad's Carpet One in Raleigh. I got some laminate on one of their truckload specials (they do them every so often) for 99 cents/sq ft (extra cost for the threshold, etc, but it was very reasonable); install was 1.99/sq ft. This was around 5 years ago, but prices shouldn't have gone up that much.

EDIT: price did not include tearing out the old carpet. I had already done that because I had a water leak.

3. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

We had carpet and tile installed in our home. Estimates are free and they are honest with you about what you need. We used the local people and found that the customer service was alot better. Try Clayton Flooring on Hwy 70 in Clayton or the flooring company on Old Drug Store Road near 4042, I think it is LDR. Unless you can find a individual that installs it.