progress energy bill

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rntobe, Jan 15, 2010.

1. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

Just got my latest bill from progress energy...SHOCK! Did anyone else's bill double for last month? I can understand it would increase due to the COLD weather but I almost fell on the floor when I opened the bill!

2. mvenito@nc.rr.com

mvenito@nc.rr.com Well-Known Member

mine did...glad to see I was not the only one on the floor after I opened it. I guess between the extra x-mas lights on all the time and the cold weather, but I really did not expect that. Guess we'll all be wearing gloves and sweaters inside for the next month so that does not happen again:lol:

3. IncognitO

IncognitO Well-Known Member

my usage was double this month from last, glad I am on level billing.

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Mine was about $100 more too, did rates go up?

5. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

prepared

I was kinda prepared for the bill only because last winter's bills came as such a shock. This one even topped that. Last winter was when there was a publicized rate increase. I don't know if there has been one since. I called Progress last year and they sent out an energy evaluation packet as a geesture of fine customer service (came with a free pencil, too), but I really found nothing other than a rate increase that could send our bill into the stratasphere. Two weeks or so of below normal temps will send the dial spinning. It's awful!

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Ours doubled as well. Needless to say, I am wearing sweats and 2 shirts around the house...not to mention 2 extra blankets on the bed!

7. Niese

Niese Well-Known Member

Mine doubled too! I thought I hadn't paid last month's bill when I first opened it! Wow! :shock:

8. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Holy Cow, I knew someone would start the thread, I about had a heart attack when I saw my bill, $325. ! I never in my life had an electric bill close to that. I was yelling at the kids yesterday to keep the lights off when not in room, and to shut the TV off as they were watching too much TV. They yelled back at me and told me my Christmas candles in the window did the damage! So 40/42's, I wasn't the only one, Maybe, just maybe Progress Energy made a mistake with everyone?

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

My bill was 200.00... I would hate to see the bill at my old house.

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

HOLY MOLEY.

Mine was $135 last month and $228 was this bill. :boxing:

I call BS.

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Ours was 118. About the same as last month. BUT! We have a $400 gas bill sitting in the bill box waiting to be paid. Second fill up this season. The first one was $300something.

12. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

we already to that (except we use an electric blankie on the bed!) and ours was about $60 more - and we have gas heat too! according to the little graph on the bill - our useage is a little higher than last Jan........

As someone else said - at first I thought they hadn't rec'd last month's payment, :lol:

13. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

After reading this thread I felt compelled to open my Progress Energy Bill... WOW!!! Thanks to you guys for at least giving me a heads up so I didn't suffer a heart attack when I saw the total. This months bill is $4 higher than the last two months added together ... and we were out of town for a week on vacation during this billing cycle??? I'm having a very hard time believing this bill could be possibly be accurate.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  14. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

We were expecting it but STILL, it was one of those take your breath away moments and not in a good way. Ours was nearly $400 but we were indeed expecting it to be high. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst kind of scenario. Our house is literally freezing. We walk around in sweatshirts, have blankets everywhere and there are piles of comforters on the bed. It truly is sad. It is kept at 68/ 69 and we are frozen everyday. So I can definitely empathize. We have one of our kids who's been "indoctrinated" by the school w/ the whole green thing so she turns off everything. Annoying as all get out. Anyhow, leaving things on it NOT the problem here. We have plastic on things to keep air out. I mean, we do all the stupid energy savings ideas they tell you to and absolutely not a bit of difference. We didn't turn on the heat until later November so that really did help us prepare for this bill. Still, I"m mad b/c I knew it would be outrageous but they are doubling most of these bills. Typically, our bill is around $200 to $250 in winter time. I think at this point we'd be better to move into a tent in the yard and stay warm by campfire--LOL. Now, if next month's bill is this high, we all need some form of protest.

stephanie--mom to 7

15. gracey1314

gracey1314 Well-Known Member

ditto :( $120 -----> $258. yikes!

16. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Ours jumped from $122 to $209; we sort of expected it to be higher, due to the Christmas holiday and our son visiting. We keep the heat at 67, turned down to 66 at night. The dogs keep us warm, and we have throw blankets everywhere to snuggle in. I feel relieved that we are not the only ones...:confused::ack:

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ours was also considerably higher than normal. Wondering if they "estimated" instead of actually meter reading last month? Needless to say I have been on the warpath about lights, etc. and turned down the heatpumps to near refrigeration levels. :banghead:

18. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

well let me join in as well as bill about doubled as well !! Have been keeping the heat set lower then last year and have been trying to conserve as is. I was shocked when I opened the bill !! Figured it would be higher because of the cold weather but not double !!

19. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Our unit hasn't been working right and we are in need of a compressor under the house and the unit outside needs to be replaced as well..we figured that had to do with our very very high bill. We are now on emergency heat due to waiting to get it fixed for the last week. (a whole other subject, I rent).
    Our bill went from 138 to 330, I don't think all that had to do with the cold weather here, but it didn't help none. I have turned off the emergency heat for now, since it is a little warmer outside right now..I'm sure it will be just as high if not higher on the next bill. We are worried.

Thankfully we have a friend of the family that does this stuff for a living and is giving my landlord a great deal for a complete replacement and with the tax credit she can get 1500 back..the whole price is going to be 2300 bucks, and then minus the tax credit, she would be stupid not to go ahead and have him do it. Just waiting for her to give him the go head. Normally anyone else would charge 5000 or more for the same thing..

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

same here.... $159 last bill, and this week got new bill for $276. We have a digital programmable thermostat, and I already lowered it 65 at night and 68 during the day. Thankfully we didn't turn the heat on until the end of November either. My lowest bill with no heat and no a/c running is about $120. We run a electric baseboard type heater in our bedroom at night, and the electric fireplace that throws heat during the day in the living room. :twisted::twisted: