progress energy water heater repair service

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I received a letter in the mail the other day for a water heater repair service being offered by Progress energy. Has anyone else received one of these?

For 5.99 a month this is what is covered:
    1.) 24-hour emergency repair hotline - available 365 days a year
    2.) No repair bill to pay - covereed repairs up to $850 annually
    3.) Up to $850 of your annual limit available toward a replacement - water heater if deemed unrepairable
    4.) No deductibles - or trip/service charge
    5.) You can make as many service calls as you need per year, up to $850 annually
    6.) Expert repair service - by licensed and insured technician

My water heater is original to the house. The water heater is 16 years old. It works fine so far but not sure how much life is left in it.

2. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

My mom did this program and then renewed it again after it expired. Then about 2 months ago her hot water heater that was the original went out completely. This plan covered almost everything! My mom had to pay for something extra but it was a HUGE blessing when it happened and she had this plan!

3. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

anyone get the offer for the HVAC repair service? $17.99 month. Covers up to $2000 in one year for expenses for repair or replacement. (doesnt cover $35 trip charge) Our unit is 16 years old. Good deal??:allears:

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

<bump>

5. Deanna

Deanna Guest

Just some advice

I find it odd that Progress Energy is hiring sub-contractors to do plumbing work. What you should be very careful about is this, you the homeowner must verify & ask for a copy of the Actual Technicians License & Insurance.

Let me explain. Example: Roto Rooter or other may have a NC Plumbing License & may be Insured but if they send a technician to your house that does not have his own license or insurance, any work that technician performs on your water heater will actually void the warranty with the manufacturer. All water heater manufacturers state somewhere on the appliance or somewhere in the fine print that installation of or repairs must be performed by a licensed plumber...........a technician working under a company license is not accepted.......he is considered a Journeymen who needs supervision by a licensed plumber who is suppose to be on scene of the repair or installation.

How do I know this to be true? I know someone who was building a new custom house. The plumbing company that was hired sent a "technician" to install the water heater on a Friday. On Monday they were called & told the entire house had been flooded by the water heater that had been installed in the attic. So the attic, second & first floor was completely destroyed by water damage. Hardwood floors throughout had to be removed. They had to gut the place & start over.

The plumbing company swore it happened due to a defective water heater & they were not at fault. The water heater manufacturer requested copies of the plumbing license & insurance for the "technician" who installed it. The plumbing company said he didn't have a license, he worked under the companies license & insurance. Because it clearly stated in the papers provided with the water heater that a "licensed plumber" must be the one performing the work or the warranty would become void the water heater manufacturer was not held liable for the damages. The plumbing companies own insurance agent reviewed the circumstances & came to the same decision that because the "technician" was not licensed or insured & did not have a licensed plumber on site when he did the work they were not liable to pay for the damages either. So then it fell back to the homeowners insurance policy...........you guessed it..........they denied it too based on the same reasons. They said it was the homeowners responsibility to verify that the person performing the work was licensed & insured. So unless Progress Energy is keeping tabs on all the sub-contractors they are sending to your house you better be careful. If it's too good to be true it probably isn't or it might bite you in the wallet someday.

I use NCS Plumbing in Clayton. Scott is the plumber & he is actually dually licensed in NC to do all residential & commercial plumbing as well as gas lines.
    They have a website. www.ncsplumbing.com