Proper Flag Disposal

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by elims, Jul 29, 2011.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I fly the US flag outside my house whenever I can. I've gotten lax and kept it up during bad weather .. and the other day, it blew down and got grimey. I need to dispose of it and get a new one up ...

I thought we had a thread a few years back about where to go/how to properly dispose of the flag locally, but I can't find it. Isn't there someplace you can take it? I don't want to be wandering all over Clayton offices asking "Hi, will you take my flag?"

Thank you!

Carol

2. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

You can contact someone with the American Legion in Clayton and they can tell you.

3. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

local Scout troops (Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts) can also help you do this too.

4. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Clayton American Legion Post 71 will take it and do the right thing.

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Thank you! Will give them a call. Was thinking American Legion, but wasn't sure.

6. First Carol, thank you so much for caring enough about our flag to ask. There is a American Legion post in Clayton that has a drop box for flags. It looks like a mailbox but is labeled Flags Only. There is also a VFW Post in Benson if that is closer. The Boy Scouts will also take your flag and retire it properly. The other option is to conduct a flag retirement ceremony of your own. You can find the instruction by googling "Flag retirement ceremony"

Again, thank you from the bottom of a veteran's heart for your care and concerned of our great flag.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  7. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

There is a box for US flags right at the entrance to the American Legion in Clayton on US 70 Buiness west.

8. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

You could PM dan

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:grouphug: Thanks, Carol.

10. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Drop boxes, that's a great concept!! Beats having to find out what hours I can find someone available ... thanks, y'all!

And no need to thank me ... just the way I was raised. Thank my Dad, I s'pose... he put our flag out every morning, and brought it in every night. Wrapped it carefully, taught me how to respect it (I do slack and leave it out over night .. shh.. don't tell my Dad!). Our flag has always meant a lot to me. I had the chance to move to the UK several years ago, and I literally spent hours staring at the flag, pondering what it and our country meant to me. A good ponderence ... I highly suggest it for everyone! Don't take the sight of it for granted!

11. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I want a flagpole in my yard!!! Maybe there's a boy scout troop looking for a project? I'd gladly help them put it up (i have construction experience), and it wouldn't need to go in till around October 1st or so. (gotta have the baby first!) So if anyone knows anyone who would like to help out and wants to do this when the weather gets better....PM me!

Thanks

George
    BSA 1st Class, Scout Troop 1543, Belle Vernon PA