Question about Cornwallis/42

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BEEBSLY9, Aug 20, 2014.

1. BEEBSLY9

BEEBSLY9 Active Member

We recently moved from the downtown area to 4042. I drop our baby off at daycare every morning which is located near the DMV in Clayton. We have lived in the 4042 area since June and traffic on Cornwallis heading to 42 has been fine up until this week. At about 7:15 every morning I head down Cornwallis to make a right onto 42 at the new sheets. That light has never been backed up until now. Is this something I should expect once school begins or is it just due to something else? If it will be like that all school year I will need to find an alternate route or leave earlier. Thanks! ?:

2. scomkto

scomkto Active Member

Yes, it will get worse once school starts:banghead:

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Are they through with the paving on Hwy 42?

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Basically, no one lets their kid ride the bus anymore and they all drive them to school. What you are seeing is the carpool moms heading home or to work after having dropped their kids off. We got to enjoy it over the summer!

5. BEEBSLY9

BEEBSLY9 Active Member

I was afraid that would be the answer - thanks!

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

when did that start (car pool/moms taking kids to school instead of the bus)? I never heard of it when i was in school 70's-80's. but when ours started in 2005 everyone was doing it.

did that change around the time HS kids had to start taking a limo to the prom? another current activity i would never have guessed. we drove a car to the HS gym in early 80's.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly. Blame it on a few cases of molestery bus drivers, childhood bullies bringing guns to school, etc., but today is different than yesterday that's for sure. Some of it is attributed to long bus routes as well, I suppose. While I don't like it, I guess I am somewhat hypocritical in that I would not feel warm and fuzzy about sending a little one (K-1) off on a strange bus ride.

8. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I think some of the problem came as they tried to consolidate bus routes. The rides are way too long. I have one starting highschool this year and we were told he needed to be at the bus stop at 5:50 AM. To me that is pretty darn early to ride a bus approx 6 miles. Mine will ride the bus home but it is just easier on everyone to take them in the morning. My middle schooler who gets out at 3:10 will be dropped of at 3:47PM.

9. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

i think its a nc thing. i lived in florida and maryland and most of them took the bus. i refused to wait in line for hours a day, not that i could since i had to work

10. Roadman

Roadman Member

Paving

The issue with the backups is due to the repaving on NC 42. When they milled the old pavement, the loop detectors for the signal were torn up. The signal is reverted to a timing plan which is probably very outdated and give more green time to the thru movement on NC 42. Hopefully they will replace the loop detectors soon and the problem will be fixed - right about the time that school starts back up and traffic gets worse.

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yes, this is true that this contributes to the problem. However, when school starts (fully) you will see the back ups we are discussing.

12. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Most of the angst by helicopter moms not letting their kids ride school system transportation is media overload.

Bullying and generally, "bad" kids and other distasteful influences has not risen by much, if any over the last 30 years, but the constant 24hr news cycle makes it appear there's a crime wave "out there".

And yes, during my school years, I either rode the bus or walked 3 miles. BUT there are parents that allow their kids to ride the bus, the irony is, they don't want them waiting alone, so the entrance to my subdivision is choked with half a dozen cars half on-half off the road waiting. . .