Question regarding exams

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I have a high schooler and maybe you all can answer a question. She has to take some EOC exam. But, it is for NONE of her classes. In fact, it is for 9th grade. She's 10th. I was told it was b/c of some law passed but I've heard nothing about that. My daughter was told the exam won't count for anything. Umm, then why are we taking it? I'm really wondering about it all. Plan on calling the school today & asking again. I had heard it was due to a new law from a teacher. In addition, they are being told if they don't pass the exam (you know, the one that doesn't count) that they have to take a 5 hour remediation course. And take the test again. I'm really wondering is anyone else having to do this? Anyone have a high schooler that has mentioned having to take a test from a previous grade due to new state laws? Just curious. We were told they are taking it b/c they didn't take it last year. Makes NO sense to me. Fishing for a better answer than the reason school told us. Thanks.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

2. angels_squirrel

angels_squirrel Active Member

My daughter is in 10 grade at West and she said she hasn't heard of anything like that. It really doesn't make sense. Good luck with the school.

3. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure, but this what I believe is going on....the school needs your daughter to take the exam because the state mandates that all students take certain tests throughout high school, and she must not have taken this particular one last year. It will not count for her, but it does count for the school. If she doesn't take it, it will be like the school getting a zero on it, which determines whether or not the school will pass its "test." They will do whatever they can to get her to pass the exam, even remediation if she doesn't pass the first time. It is not an ideal situation for her, but it is something that the state requires and that the school must pass. My question for the school would be why she didn't get to take it last year when she was supposed to take it. Hope this helps a little. I'd be interested to hear what they say about why she hasn't taken it and whether or not others are having to do the same thing. If you want to help the school pass its bar, i would have her take the test and look at it as extra practice in test-taking for her.