Quick Ebay ?, WWYD?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Jan 7, 2010.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Okay, so I sold a textbook on Ebay with Buy it Now, and advertised next day shipping. Buyer paid for the item Tuesday. Wednesday morning, Little Bit knocked a soda over on the book. It doesn't affect the functionality of it, but it is no longer in the "like new" condition I advertised it in.

I emailed the buyer early yesterday morning explaining what happened and asked her if she still wanted it, or if she'd like me to refund her money. She didn't respond.

I emailed again this morning, thru My Messages on Ebay, and gave her my phone number and asked her to call me.

So, how long should I wait? I'm sure she needs it for school, but I don't want her to get it, and then decide she no longer wants it.

2. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

did you get close to what the school was asking? Not the dumb price they offered you but what they were selling used for?

3. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

Give the buyer a couple of days-they might not have a computer in house or might be out of town.

4. JenniferK

The book used, at the school is $113, they were willing to give me $20 for it. I sold it on Ebay for $65.

5. kookookacho

I guess you're busy.
    Anyway... If you got about what you wanted for it. I would write the person a note. Explain what happened and you know they probably did need the book asap. Then attached to the note I would give the a few bucks. If you got 50 bucks for the book I'd send them 10 back. The book is still usable just probably not as pretty as they would like. If you aren't comfy sending cash just refund part of the money on paypal. I'd still send them the book though since you haven't heard from them.

6. kookookacho

of course you respond while I'm typing! :lol:

7. JenniferK

Cause GMTA....

8. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

That sounds very fair to me.

9. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I agree too, I'd send her the book and refund a portion of the money. Attach a nice note that you'll refund the money and return shipping if she doesn't want it and returns it within 7 days. That gives her time to find another one, and maybe use yours for a few days in the interim.

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

go to the item on ebay. i can't tell you where exactly right now, but there's a way to request that the transaction be cancelled. both parties have to respond. ebay will send notices to the buyer. i'm thinking if they don't respond then, you can just cancel it and your fees are removed and you refund them and it's all good. i'm not so sure i'd just send it with a partial cash refund without hearing from them first. you might wind up also owing them return shipping when they send it back to you and claim there was no cash in there when they file an "item not as described" paypal claim against you (which locks up the entire payment in your paypal account until the matter is resolved) and so you owe them the full amount plus return shipping. and i'd do the refund via paypal, which is very easy to do.

for the record, i have been involved in north of 2500 transactions on ebay since 1998. burn me once, everybody gets the cynical treatment from then on...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  11. JenniferK

Don't I have like 5 days to ship an item via Ebays policy? I was thinking I'd give her just another day or so.

I feel bad, but I really don't want to send her something that isn't exactly like I described.

12. dangerboy

you can request that the transaction be cancelled on ebay. the ebay police will not show up at your door if the item does not leave your possession on the 5th day. i don't think a buyer can file an "item not received" claim until at least 10 days after the transaction closes.

13. dangerboy

14. kookookacho

Ok, after reading what DB wrote... scratch what I said. :lol:

15. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

You mentioned that you sent your phone number to the buyer. Have you tried calling her? You can get a buyer's phone number through Ebay. Maybe she hasnt had a chance to see your messaage - a phone call is more personal anyway. JMHO...I have sold on Ebay for years and that's how I would have handled it.

16. JenniferK

Just figured out that I could request her phone number....lol

Called her and she doesn't care about the stain, so I'm shipping it today.

Thanks for the advice!