racoons

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I've lived here in North Carolina for 18 years now and I do not think I have ever seen any racoons in this state. Has anybody ever seen North Carolina racoons?

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Too many of them. My brother-in-law and his wife lost most of their chickens two years in a row before they borrowed my traps. Five racoons were caught within 10 days.

My experiences with racoons here has been very expensive too. Three or four seen on our property that got away and a couple caught trying to cross the road and did not.

Buzzards gotta eat too.

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I see quite a few of them

5. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

******** NOT FOR POLITICAL DISCUSSION HERE**********
    With the decline of fur clothing and such, trapping has all but ceased thus the increase in population. Also with the better use of ag chemicals compared to the 60's DDT days, more of them survive in rural areas to the point of spilling into suburbea and town. It's a give and take system. Take away any type preditor and it gives the hunted the opportunity to multiply faster.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Had a female and her 4 babies living in the ceiling of my screen porch. Called Tru-Tech tom come remove them and after a week of trapping they had captured 2 females one was a nursing female and a baby. a couple of days later Tru-tech ended up having to remove part of the ceiling to capture the remaining 3 babies.

So yeah, I've seen raccoons locally.

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I had to shoot one that clearly had a problem a few months ago.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Incontinence?

9. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Wanted to discuss politics in the Discussion Group ....:mrgreen:

10. Rockyv58

To the best of my recollection I have not seen any. Though I have seen my share of possums and even hit my share while driving home from when I worked at the nursing home.

11. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

If you've never seen a coon in NC it's because your eyes are closed.

12. Rockyv58

Thanks for the observation Mr Obvious :)

Maybe its cause I have a three legged Treeing walker coon hound they stay away LOL

13. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

There are six at my deer feeder right now. Two adults and for babies. I think I have seen three babies in the yard every year for the last ten.

14. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Hubby puts out deer blocks and the racoons come to feed in addition to the deer and squirrels. We've seen alot more foxes around lately as well!

15. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member