Raleigh Christmas Parade gurus?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kdog, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Taking the kids tot he Raleigh Christmas Parade, I am not familiar where to watch it from. Any suggestions where the least amount of people usually stand to watch it, so the kids can get a good look.

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

With Scotty McCreery as the Grand Marshall this year, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any unpopulated spots. The best advice is probably to get there as early as you can.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Where you can stand to get a good look, isn't a very active part of the parade.

We always go right downtown across (more or less) from the court house. It's the best viewing area for the bands and floats. The only drawback is that you need to get there early. They (usually) don't let anyone actually on the street, so the closer you get to the curb, the better chance you'll have of no one standing in front of you.

Oh, one more thing, bathroon facilities are notoriously inconvenient, so make sure you go before you go. :)

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

On a side note.......it's too freaking early for a Christmas Parade. At the rate they keep moving this stuff up every year we will be having a Christmas Parade in September wearing shorts and a flip-flops.

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i was thinking the same thing, why have a Christmas parade before Thanksgiving:confused:

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, the Christmas Parade was made to fit into Scotty's schedule.....

7. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

nope its always the weekend before thanksgiving has been as long as I can remember. its also the christmas show at the convention center. Traffic will be a nightmare..

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I think the Raleigh Parade is always the weekend before Thanksgiving.

The streets will be slammed by parade time from end to end, park somewhere you are familiar with and pick a spot along the route reasonable to your parking spot at least an hour early - two hours would be a good idea if you don't want stress.

9. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I always thought that was weird too.

10. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

They haven't been moving it up. As long as I've been here, the parade has always been (except for one year) the Saturday before Thanksgiving:
    11/19/2011
    11/20/2010
    11/21/2009
    11/22/2008
    11/17/2007
    11/11/2006
    11/19/2005
    11/20/2004
    11/22/2003
    11/23/2002
    11/17/2001
    11/18/2000
    (I don't remember why it was so early in 2006)

11. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Oh, and don't forget to take along some camping chairs.

12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Because between Thanksgiving and Christmas, there's too much to do in preparation for Christmas that a parade would just be too much. It's the one thing I don't have a problem with, as far as "them" pushing Christmas too early. :)

13. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

The best news I got this week was from my DS...Mom, they lost our application and we are not in the parade. I don't know who was happier, him or me. I like the local parades better. He doesn't care for any of them.

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

oh good grief, seriously???? Growing up our Christmas parade in our hometown was always the first Sat of December, what in the world does the city of Raleigh have to do that is too much?????

15. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

not really sure its them or like you said all the small towns around here have all their events in December. Maybe it was just a way to let everyone do both. Just a thought :)

16. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Not the city of Raleigh, the rest of us. If the parade is being held on the first Saturday of December, there's a whole shopping day in the middle of the Christmas shopping season wasted. Then there is the issue of local parades, which might conflict with the Raleigh parade. Where is your hometown?