Real ID Question for HughT

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

HughT,

I know you travel a whole lot so maybe you can clear something up for me. Real ID and non-compliant states. TSA states on this page https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions that they will accept a regular driver's license through 2018, but on the list of non-compliant states here: http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief North Carolina has until October 2016 an Illinois had until January 2016. What gives? I have a relative that I want to fly down from Illinois and I need to know if they are good with just their driver's license. Any ideas?

I realize this could've been in a private message, but I gave up looking for it on the new website. Besides, other people may be able to help too.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Harvey, some folks are already banned from entering Fort Bragg if all they have is a non-compliant Drivers license.

I have asked a number of TSA employees about this, not for myself because I have multiple compliant IDs, but because my wife does not, not surprisingly they were not sure what is going on.

Personally if they are going to do any reasonable amount of air-travel or driving through Canadian or Mexican boarders I would get a DHS trusted traveler card (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST). I have done the Global Entry route ($75.00), and it gets me through the expedited TSA lines for 5 years.

I also carry a Passport but a word of warning for anyone whose passports expire this year. The State Department has warned that they are anticipating delays this year for processing Passports and people should plan accordingly.

I don't think I answered your question but everyone should be good through January 2018. I expect that due to political push-back from both Conservative and Liberal entities there will be more changes by 2018.

Most people don't realize it, especially when they get in an uproar regarding Voter ID, but technically you do not need to carry ID with you to get through Security and board a plane:

Forgot Your ID?
    In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete a form to include your name and current address, and may ask additional questions to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You may be subject to additional screening.

You will not be allowed to fly if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.​

Sherry A. likes this.
  3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

With confusion on IDs all over the place my daughter and I both take our passports when traveling, just to be safe.

Sherry

Auxie likes this.
  4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I always carry my passport card with me at all times. It's my go to ID for any time I am asked to show ID. I've used it for domestic air travel for the past 5 years (probably over 30-40 flights) with no issues. When you show them an ID that says Issued by the US State Department, they don't question it. In fact on more than one occasion a TSA agent thanked me for using it, saying that it's easier to recognize that it's not fake than a random state's drivers license.

Hught and Auxie like this.