Recommendation Needed - Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Aug 20, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

One of our vehicles may need a new catalytic converter, at least that is what the code is saying. Can someone recommend a reasonable option locally for the repair. I have the name of someone in Raleigh, but since it won't pass inspection, it has no current tags and I don't want to get a ticket for driving with expired tags. My usual awewome mechanic doesn't do this sort of thing.

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Thanks Craig!

Been doing a bit of online searching and found a place that has an OEM one that is supposed to bolt right on for half of what I've heard they cost. As soon as DH has a chance, he's going to check it out and see if he can do it himself and save some $. Will probably need a new O2 sensor to boot, so any money saved will be awesome. They have a universal fit one that requires welding that is only $89. :shock: I've bought tires online..................why not a catalytic converter?? LOL

4. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

REH Automotive on Old Fairground

HE advertises on here . We had a catalytic convertor put on my car last year for the very same reason. OEM and it is still going strong....

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Good Luck!

I'll be a happy camper if I NEVER see another check engine light :ack::ack::ack:

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LOL!! Believe me, I understand!!!!!

DH took the bull by the horns and it's at a mechanic now. We shall see what happens!!!

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

We had to get new cats last year. The MAS went bad, causing the computer to dump too much fuel into the engine. It burn up both catalytic convertors and the pre-cats, too! Cost us $600 bucks!

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, it has a new one at this moment. We have to drive it so many miles to see if the light comes back on and if it will pass inspection. Fingers crossed.

9. TheBoatz3

TheBoatz3 Guest

I got mine replaced at Steve Tart's Race Shop off of hwy 50. He had a great price and great service. His number is 919-779-5820.