Relationship age gap?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by VolleyGrl, Jan 27, 2011.

1. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular belief I am not hitting the bars and picking up strange men to sleep with as my pasttime. I have started dating a great guy, but he is considerably older than I am. This obviously doesn't bother me as we have a great time together and there is nothing that really sets him apart from a man much younger than him. I'm more interested in hearing other stories of relationships where there is a substantial age gap and what some pros/cons are.

In the end, I don't care what other people think, but I did want to gauge the general opinion on the matter. :)

2. emismom

emismom Well-Known Member

My husband is 10 years older than i am.

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

to each their own, the older we get the less of an issue it is. Love shouldn't have any limitations as long as its legal.

Hugh Hefner doesn't have any problems with it nor his soon to be wife. lol

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't much care, as long as both folks are happy and of legal age. ; )

Hugh Hefner types of relationships ick me out personally, but as long as I don't have to do it......................meh.

5. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

I'm almost 9 years older than my wife. Sometimes guys have to grow up. My parents were 20 years apart. worke out great for them

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My 78 year old grandmother is engaged to a 65 year old man. She does not look her age though, in fact looks younger than he does in my opinion, LOL

Her last husband that passed was about 10 years older than she was.

My DH and I are only 11 months apart in age.

Myyounger sister's DH is about 7 or 8 years older than she is. Works for them.

I have one aunt whose husband is about 25 years older than she is, but she is strange bird anyway. :lol: They've been married about 30 years or so, so there you go.

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

My father is 85 and dating a 55 year old woman. They are happy but we worry about her wanting a sugar daddy......probably worry we should not.

Sherry

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

probably could care less what you say or think. Irrelevant.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Do like we did and run a background check. He's a perfectly nice man, but I wasn't taking any chances. With that said, she would kick my fanny if she knew I had done it. She takes her independance VERY seriously and is in no way incapacitated or any diminished faculties. But she has some means and I didn't want her taken advantage of either. Times change.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I'm much younger than my father was when he was my age.

11. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

Sherry, when my mom died my dad was left by himself. I live here, of course, and he lived out west. We talked about it and all I told him was to be careful that someone wasn't out just for someone to take care of them financially or to bilk him out of what little he had. He never remarried and he wasn't interested in "keeping company". He always told anyone who seemed to be more interested than what he liked that he was sure no one could ever fill her shoes. He only lived 4 years after she passed but they were lonely years, I am sure.

12. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

My sister is 13 years older than her husband,it is an issue at times,more so now than when they first got married almost 20 years ago,now she is 60 and doesn't have as much energy as he does.She never seemed to have her own opinion but rather echoed his beliefs :twisted: but-they seem happy.

13. Sherry A.

Thank you for stating that as I worry about him.

Sherry

14. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Can't remember?

15. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

My ex was 9 years older that I was. My wife now is 12 years younger. Personally works a lot better for me having a younger wife, as the older wife was always self-conscious about looking older than me.

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

amnesia is a *****

17. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

ahhh....when you look 10 years younger than what you are, it is probably a little intimidating to the woman to be 9 years older....just saying!!

Do the rest of us a favor and start aging some!!! (saw your facebook photo from this weekend....sheesh...I didn't have that much hair when I was 30 much less at 50)

18. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Stop after the second comma. I've always been attracted to older men. Sometimes too old I guess, chalk it up to growing up without a father. How I ended up with some one five years my junior is beyond me (really!). We met when he was 25. A mere youngin'. :rolleyes: (I even carded him) But if you knew either of us you'd swear he's older, or at least more mature...definitely smarter and more worldly. So what he's older. Age is a word. .. Unless he's using a walker... then we need to talk.

19. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

My dad's mom was 10 years older than my late step-grandfather (God rest his soul). My dad is 9 years older than my mom. My wonderful boyfriend is 7 years older than me.

That being said, I have dated a couple of guys that were 8years+ older than me and acted like freakin 16 yr olds. Maturity level, I think, is a big part of a relationship. Age IS just a number but if you don't compliment each other, it'll never work.

20. Sherry A.

I'm with Reality, you never look as though you age a day!!

Sherry