Ron Still/Basic Needs question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pocahontas, Dec 22, 2010.

1. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Is Basic Needs accepting clothing and household goods donations again? Somewhere a few weeks ago I had read that they couldn't accept anymore at the time and I was wondering if they were able to take them yet? Thanks in advance for any info anyone may have.

2. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Out, out #&^* rumors, false rumors, standard rumors

That's just a paraphrase of Shakespeare.

We ran a press release to tell our 320+ churches, schools, and agencies that they should not send their clients for free clothing, since we couldn't get volunteers to put the clothing we had on the hangers and racks. Some clients have a 40 mile drive and we'd like to save them gas costs and disappointment. We always accept clothing, even if we can't get it in our small lobby when it is delivered. The Johnston Fire Inspector insists that we practice fire safety procedures for your safety. We try. We need weekly adult volunteers commited to the clothing closet mission. On the whole, children volunteers cannot determine clean and like new condition of clothing, remember to place clothing on the right hangers and in the right category and in the right size.
    We gave $4,000 worth of clothing away on December 23, because some organization remembered to give out our gift certificates. The clothing included brand new coats provided by Neuse Community Church.
    We recently received and have been selling some 42R men's suits - regularly $300+ and these were donated new with their pockets not cut open and legs not even hemed to length.
    If anyone alse comes in and tells you they can't see our 13,000 clothing items on the racks, tell them to ask me, and I will point them out! We've have people in the building tell us they are upset because we stopped handling clothes or toys or whatever! Insert primal scream here.
    This is the time of year to mail out 2011 gift certificates to our 320 communtiy churches, schools, and agencies. I have to determine if we can afford the time and cost. One takes volunteers and the other about $550. We don't have either to commit at this time. We have received enough donations for the January 1 rent.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010