Rush Hour Traffic

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by TBonz, Mar 2, 2015.

1. TBonz

TBonz Member

Being new to the area, I'd appreciate some of the experts giving me an idea of travel time. I'm in the Clayton area and have a meeting (not a daily thing) I need to attend in RTP on T W Alexander Drive fairly close to where it intersects with 40 in RTP (27709). Google Maps suggests taking 70 to 40 and it taking about 45 minutes. I need to be there for a 9AM meeting. Any thoughts on how early I will have to leave based on traffic? Any "better" routes I should consider?

Thanks much in advance!

2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Leave by 6 get to your destination and eat breakfast to kill time prior to meetings.
    I probably wouldn't mess with that 70 way.
    Consider back road to 264 bypass to 540 towards RTP. Take 70 off 540 or another exit off 540.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I take US70 to I40 to RTP (Kit Creek Road and Davis area) every day from NC42 and Government Road.

Without traffic (like mid day or on a weekend), it takes me 35 minutes to go the 38 miles.

Average morning traffic (I leave at 7:15am), it takes right about 45-50 minutes.

If the weather is bad or if there is an accident, it takes an hour or more.

Coming home, I try to leave by 4:30pm and it takes me about 40 minutes. Closer to 5pm it takes more like 50 minutes on average.

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I leave the 4042 area by 0630 to arrive by 0715 with minimal traffic. Cornwallis to 70 to 40 to RTP..
    By 0645, the circus on 40 begins..

5. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

This. No traffic its easily 45 mins. One minor wreak, or anything going on with construction on 40 S of raleigh, its an hr plus easily. And they are ramping up on the construction.

540 isnt bad, but its out of the way for anyone in S Clayton, etc.

6. TBonz

TBonz Member

Thank You!

I pulled out of our garage at 7:30 and pulled into a parking space at the building at 8:30. I took 42 to 70 to 40 to Davis Drive and over to T W Alexander. Definitely hit some traffic but not too bad...longer milage and much faster trip than I'm used to in the DC area...

Thanks again for the input...