Sarcoidosis...what ya know?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by peppercorns, Mar 20, 2012.

1. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

Does anyone have this or know anything about it. I have seen all the stuff on the internet and read alot....I want to yap with people who have been there, done that. It you want to you can just PM. I am learning more then I ever wanted. lol.:grouphug:

2. thewildmom

thewildmom Well-Known Member

Sarcoidosis

It is a hereditary (recessive) autoimmune disorder that runs in my family. My sister was diagnosed with it at 27 and had flare-ups many times over her life. I was in college at the time and spent a lot of time with my genetics professor trying to research the causes. the usual course of the disease, and of course the likelihood that I would have it too. The worst thing for my sister was the loss of lung capacity, and the steroids she took to treat it had unpleasant side effects. I also have a cousin who suffers from it. It can vary drastically in intensity from one person to another, come and go at times, and be very difficult to diagnose initially.

3. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

thanks wild mom! I am trying to gather some first hand knowledge since I have read a lot on the internet and books. I was diagnosed last year and it has been very debilitating for me. The steroids have kicked my butt almost as much as the sarc...lol. No one in my family seems to have this thing but me. My only suspicion is my grandfather on my dad's side who died at 41 from pneumonia. Sarc could have been a contributing factor but so could that fact that there were no antibiotic back then.
    I have just recently met others who have it and I was trying to find out if anyone locally had any experiences they wanted to share. THanks!!!

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law has it also. Got it in his earlly 30's. Lots of trouble breathing now and then. I agree with thewildmom. Not sure if his is genetic, but maybe the result of my sister being a big hoarder:(