SCA Ventures

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Nov 22, 2017.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about SCA Ventures? Seems they own a lot of acreage in downtown Clayton around the post office.

SCA.JPG

2. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

SCA Ventures LLC is located at 132 Citation Lane in Smithfield. There is one principal located at this address, and the address is also shared by other businesses. This company may be a subsidiary of Enzon Pharmaceuticals, although their subsidiary is listed as SCA Ventures Inc., according to the information available online.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

It was formed in Sept 2002 by Kristen Brown of the firm Wyrick, Robbins, Yates, and Ponton, LLP of Raeigh. It was merged with Yauch Ventures, LLC, which was also formed by Kristen in 2008, in the spring of 2008. Both entities shared the same physical address of 132 Citation Lane, the initial mailing address of a PO box in Wilsons Mills, and the manager who is Steven S. Yauch.

4. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Steven Seymour Yauch is also the principal of Carolina Electronic Assemblers, Inc., a contract manufacturer that was founded in 2000, and is also located at 132 Citation Lane in Smithfield. CEA specializes in the development and manufacturing of printed circuit board assemblies, cable assemblies, and related electronic products. CEA employs approximately 50 people and generates 9.8 million dollars in annual revenue.

5. jesse82nc

So are they planning something, or just holding onto the land until someone wants to buy it?

6. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

It's probably just the usual story of the landowner waiting for local land prices to increase, then possibly selling to a developer down the road. Developers have already started to build homes in that general area. It may also be that the owner may be planning to hold onto the properties for a while, as the lawyer who worked with him, Kristen Brown Smalley, at one time had specialized in tax and estate planning when she was practicing at Wyrick, Robbins, Yates, and Ponton. She has since left that firm and now works as a philanthropic and financial gifts advisor at Duke University, working with people who donate their estates to Duke. So, in regards to that land sitting there, your speculation is as good as mine.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. jesse82nc

It's about 70-80 acres, including the old mill building.

8. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

He was smart to buy all that land when he did. I hope if the properties are eventually developed, that somebody might repurpose that old mill. Would be a shame to tear down something like that with so much character. I vote for a music venue.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Auxie and Rockyv58 like this.
  9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I thought the old mill had been sold so it could be redeveloped. Habitat for Humanity was there for years and had to move over to Smithfield. That is what one of the people who worked there had told me years ago

10. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I heard that an advertising studio bought it, and had their offices in there for a while. There was talk that they were planning to rehab the building and turn it into some kind of complex with surrounding trails and whatnot, but then the recession hit, so nothing was ever done. I don't think that studio is even there anymore, but I haven't been down that way in a while.