Schools starting 2 weeks early

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by peanut2004, May 15, 2009.

1. peanut2004

peanut2004 Member

"Lawmakers successfully kept alive legislation that would allow schools to move up the start of class by two weeks"

Was wondering if anyone knew if this passed or not and does it affect all counties? I have tried to find it on the internet and I was only able to find this comment on the N&O? Thank you,

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the returns the ability to modify the school calendar to the local boards. There are several issues regarding it...snow days, tourist head count, local control vs. state control..

We're sure to hear more.

3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

When does Johnston County start back? we need to plan August vacation.

4. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

August 25 th

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

6. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Yeah, we need to find out asap before we make any vacation plans this summer. I almost reserve our spot for Disney Cruise during the first week of August, but I'm like, whoa, let's find out for sure!

7. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

not all joco schools start the 25th. there's 2 in smithfield that have modified their calendars...i think they start on the 9th

8. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

That bill was passed, but all it does is, give each school system the right to start as early as Aug 8. That doesn't mean they will. Previously, we have had a law stating school couldn't start before Aug 25. This will take effect 10-11.

9. ShrtnSwt

ShrtnSwt Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  10. I think it would be ridiculous to start school two weeks early unless they want to end two weeks early. Our poor kids are already in school too long. They don't get out until June 12th! My little first grader gets on the bus at 8:00 and doesn't get home until 4:30 everyday! When I was in school, I know I was home way before 4:00. That's way too long of a day in my opinion for an elementary student. Her teacher told me the kids get burned out by this time of year. They really only have one break between Christmas and summer.

11. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

If school starts earlier in Aug, it will end earlier in June. We used to start around Aug. 5 and the students were out the last week of May.