Screen room

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by keemom, Apr 13, 2013.

1. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

We got screwed recently by a contractor we really trusted. He expanded our deck, built the roof, and did most of the siding for our new screen room and has since not come back to finish it. It has been several months. Is it worth taking any kind of legal action? Any recommendations on someone to get this finished for us? Thanks.

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I would call the troubleshooter on channel 11. They love stories like yours and would probably get the job finished or get you a refund.

3. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I don't really want to be on the news though...

4. trident2

trident2 Well-Known Member

If you paid for services that wasn't completed dont let it slide. You have multiple options. The first two that won't cost you anything are:

1) Contact the NC Department of Justice (DOJ) and file a complaint. They have a division just for these types of things and are very aggressive.

2) Contact the BBB and file a complaint.

You can do both at the same time. Good luck!

5. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

Anyone know how long it typically takes the DOJ to resolve a complaint? Would small claims court be faster? It's beautiful outside, but instead of enjoying our screen room we are ducking the bees flying through it! I am thinking of sending him a letter with the date we would like it completed by and letting him know that after that date we will have to hire someone else to do it, and hold him financially responsible for that cost.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

What about small claims court? Sue the contractor to get back your money for the unfinished portion of the screened porch/room. All you should need to show is that you paid him in full, a bill detailing the work, and pictures of the unfinished work. Possibly just the threat of small claims court action will prompt him to come finish the work.

http://web.co.wake.nc.us/courts/smallclaims.html

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  7. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I'm planning on sending him a letter tomorrow giving him until 4/30 to finish the work, otherwise I will get someone to finish it and hold him financially responsible. I'm hoping that will be enough to get him to come finish the work. Otherwise I will have to get some estimates and take him to small claims court. I really feel like he's not leaving us any other option at this point.

8. trident2

trident2 Well-Known Member

Considering as you said "its been several months", if it were most customers-He's had ample time to complete. Maybe he will comply with your letter. Your more understanding than most. Hopefully he pulled a building permit for the screen room.

The DOJ will take your complaint and ask "what you want to do". They then track him down and inform him that he has two options. It can be a possible felony to accept money and then not complete the work in a reasonable time. This usually gets the "company" moving fairly quickly.

The BBB is another good way to file your complaint so other customers don't run into the same problem you did.

Small claims court can sometimes cost you more time and effort than its worth. Most claim they don't have the money to pay the customer, etc. As the old saying goes, you can't get blood from a turnip. If you do win a judgement you can have their drivers license suspended until a payment is worked out, etc.

I wish you well with whatever you decide to do. I know its a tough spot to be in.

9. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

please in box me the name o f the contractor, as i am currently interviewing people to make my screened in porch!!! I dont want to get burned. thank you

10. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I hate that it's come to this, but he started the work 6 months ago! The worst part is we are losing someone we really liked and trusted to do work on our home. I just don't know what else to do at this point and I know he's going to be ****ed when he receives my letter.

11. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any recommendations in who I should call to finish this project? I have to start getting estimates. I would like to find someone who would also be able to do smaller things around the house when we need it. We've lost our go-to guy because of this. Thanks!

12. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

Keemom,

I high recommend Ladonna Holleman with Build to Suit, 919-520-7607. She has done huge jobs for me and tiny minuscule jobs for me. She's honest, straight forward and affordable! :)

13. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Did you ever have this finished? I am also looking for someone to get a reasonable estimate from on putting a screen porch on our home.