selling vehicle for salvage/parts

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on the best place to sell a vehilce for salvage and/or parts? Our 2001 van with 180K miles is still driveable but needs the transmission rebuilt. We rather put the $1750 toward something with fewer miles. We are orginal owners and it has been well maintained. Tires are pretty new. We'd like to sell it, maybe for parts/salvage, to get some $ toward a replacement.

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Well, it sounds like you just advertised it! I don't want it!

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

You could call Martins Salvage on Poole Rd. in Raleigh. (I don't have the number handy, sorry). They gave my FIL a very reasonable price to take away his 4Runner that had a fire on the passenger side.

Ask for Junior.

:jester:

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Is that nut still around?

5. emismom

emismom Well-Known Member

i work for a salvage yard and can tell you that you wont get alot of money out of it by scrapping it. most of these companys on here buy the cars from you and than bring them to us to sell them. if you give me the make and model i can give you a price of what you should expect to get for it

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Can you tell me what I could expect for a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, 4.7L V-8 with a blown motor? Body and interior are in good condition.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Please tell me you didn't just put new tires on it? :ack:

Oh those 4Runner tires wouldn't have fit on mine. :cry:

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Luckily NO.... I hadn't done anything that it was needing recently, except an oil change. And no, those tires were 16's and Craig said they would have not fit on your 4Runner that has 15's. BUT, the good news was, they did fit on Craigs truck!

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

10. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

Please do not give your car away to a salvage yard. Last month we had our "scooter" car which is the car we can drive anywhere/park anywhere car blow up. It was non drivable. We called around to salvage yards they wanted to give us $100.

One guy told us we could sell it even though it was not running. We took good pictures put it on craigslist and within 1hr it was sold! The guy came that night and paid us-.

It's worth a try at least. we had so many calls within an hour, still can't believe it. I think we sold it too cheap.

11. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

A friend suggested craigslist last night so we're going to try that route. Thanks for sharing that it worked for you.

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I sold a car to the place below for around $500.00 not long ago and the car was not in working order nor did I want to put anymore money into it.

Sherry

LKQ Auto SalvageLKQ Auto Salvage
    Highway 70
    Clayton, NC 27520
    (919) 553-4000