serious question..

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by God'schild, Mar 24, 2010.

1. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I need to know that if a man is convicted of NUMEROUS "sex crimes" while in the military in the mid to late 80's and is taken to court martial and had serious penalties to pay, as well as a dishonorable disharge, does this record follow him forever and is he supposed to be in the system as a registered sex offender? Or is the fact that this happened in the 80's make it not required due no registry back then? Did they even have one back then? Chances are that if he did these while in the service, he more than likely continued unless he got help and even then there is no guarantee. How do I find out? Is there a NATIONAL sex offender registry? Thanks in advance......I really need to know.....

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

This should answer most of your questions (assuming he's a NC resident) - http://ncdoj.gov/Protect-Yourself/Find-Sex-Offenders/SexOffenderRegPrograms.aspx. It looks like the earliest requirement for registration is 1996, so anyone convicted of an offense prior to that is not required to register. As far as I know, there is no Federal registry; each state has its own requirements.

I'm not sure if the military has different requirements, though.

3. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Thanks! I will read through this. God....I knew this day might come. I just never thought he'd end up HERE in NC. He wasn't from here, I think he was from CA. What happened has always creeped me out and gives me bad dreams at times...after all this time. And it is especially creepy because I was the one that was "the straw that broke the camel's back". It all came to a head and he got his punishment when I decided to talk. One other woman came forward. There were, I believe, 3 others that were to scared to come forward but had sworn written testimonies and all that. He had like 10 or 11 character witnesses. And a court martial is a bit different than civilian court obviously, but there were all these officers and officials and I was scared cause I had to see him.

And it may be that he has a new life now and is rehabilitated and doesn't even remember. But it just really freaks me out.

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

The Dishonorable Discharge is a felony conviction, and unless the recipient has applied for and gotten certain rights restored, he is legally unable to vote, or purchase a firearm.

As for the other issue, depending on the date, I don't believe there is a requirement to register within the RSO process.

It would still be of interest to local LEOs.