serpentine belt\AC pulley

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Sorry for all the car questions. But you all helped out a lot when I had to get the exhaust.
    New question now. But first a brief explanation.
    When I bought my Isuzu Rodeo 2 years ago I had found a recall notice on them about some rust on the rear end of the vehicle. I found that the only places now a days that do warranty work for Isuzu is a place in Wilson, a place in Fayetteville, and University Ford in Durham. So I took the Rodeo there to see if it was under the recall notice but they told me it was not. While it was there they told me I needed a serpentine belt. So I had them put it on.

The last two inspections I had gone through the Fast Lube guys told me that the serpentine belt was a bit shredded and that I needed a new one. They showed me where one little strand was loose. (kind of like a loose thread on a piece of clothing). It was the exact same strand both times. The guys at fast lube said it could be cause by a pulley out of alignment or bent. Most likely the AC pulley. Since they mentioned it I have noticed that every time I turn on the AC I hear a high pitched whining noise coming from under the hood. I turn off the AC and the noise goes away.

Now for the question.
    Should I go back out to University Ford for them to replace the serpentine belt & Check the AC motor or just go locally and have someone check out the AC motor?

Also I have put under 30k on the serpentine belt.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions

Bob V

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

While I do all my work myself, I have heard from a number of my car friends that this place does great work at a good price in the area - http://qualityauto4042.com/

I would bring it somewhere and have them take a second look at it.

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

If the compressor bearing is going out yu would hear the noise and it would allow the pulley to wobble causeing damage to the belt. If the compressor locks up, for example, the belt will shred quickly and you will be stuck since one belt is all you have anymore. Have it checked to be sure. There is a belt tensioner that often is the problem for bearing failure, but the connection to having the AC on seems to indicate another problem.