service charge? I'm mad!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Aug 14, 2012.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Ok, so I just looked at my online statement for my Mastercard and found that ExxonMobil on 1010 (on 2 seperate occasions this last month) and Sheetz at McGees (the other day) both charged me a seperate $1.00. Does that mean that they are charging me for using my Credit Card for gas??? Is that allowed?? Because if that is the case then they both just lost a customer.

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

They all usually just charge a dollar until the actual charge goes through. It's a hold.

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I do not know why, but when you buy gas at many gas stations (Kangaroo is another) put on your card an initial charge of $1, which they will later increase to the full amount of the transaction.

A couple of questions...

Did you buy gas on the day(s) that show a transaction of $1?

Aside from that $1, is there also a charge for the gas you bought on those days?

If the answer to the last question is yes, then you might be getting ripped off. I believe, though, the answer to the second question is probably no. In that case, you will probably see the actual amount (minus $1) on your next bill.

4. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

What I don't understand is why there's a hold. It's not as if the charge is going to change (like it would in a restaurant if you add a tip).

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Yes, I bought gas on those days. And YES, the gas transaction shows on a seperate line on the statement with the one dollar being another line after the gas transaction. Never have saw the one dollar in previous months, so this caught my eye. What next? Should i call the stations and ask if they are ripping me off?

6. ServerSnapper

I would call the stations and the credit card company. That is fraud.

7. ServerSnapper

I don't know it ****es me off too. Sometimes I swear they not only hold the money but then keep the money and charge again when the actual charge comes through. I think my bank has a glitch.

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Ditto**

**A "ditto" is not to be confused in any way, shape, or form with comments made to, by and about Rush Limbaugh or any staff of the EIB.

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

LOL..............Clif001

10. ServerSnapper

I was charged 3 dollars one time at a grocery store for getting $20.00 bucks back on a debit purchase. I conjured the devil himself over that 3 dollars....but I got it back.

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

They run the transaction when you first swipe the card to verify the card is active. Some banks do a $1.00 transaction. SECU does $26.00 if you run it as credit. It will show up in your current activity, but it will will be reversed. This is nothing new, it's only now an issue because several banks have updated their web sites to allow customers to see their recent activity. (Activity that hasn't posted yet).

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

well then, i will keep you all posted. I might have to be the devil :( or i might be lucky and the charges will just disappear like you say :) Thanks everyone :D

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I see those all the time on our account when we get gas. They always disappear once the entire charge runs through. No biggie.

14. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Just be careful not to use it as a debit at some of these gas stations. The emporium, Shell, and wilco have all put a hold on my account, causing my credit union checking account to not have enough funds, causing my savings to be tapped for the overage, at the cost of a $5 fee to do so. A hold of $75 was put on it, and I only had $60 in there. I only actually pumped $10 worth, but the gas station felt the need for the hold for 5 minutes - long enough to mess up my checking unbeknownst to me. I understand now that I must use it as credit, as they only hold $1 until the transaction clears, as described in a previous post in this thread. I guess I am from the old school, where a debit transaction was more immediate and less hassle, and cost the establishment less, since there was not a percentage cost to them, as there is with a credit card transaction. I guess I am fortunate enough to only be charged $5, which I did get refunded when I spoke to someone at the credit union. I wish I could set it up like our BB & T checking, where my card will be declined if the funds they are looking for is not there, as I declined the bank's offer to cover overdraft at some ridiculously hefty fee. I think in the future we'll just get cash back at the grocery store to purchase our gas :x

15. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

The only time we have a $1.00 hold at the Sheetz at Mcgees (the only station we use bc its so close) is when my husband uses his debit as a credit card at the pump. There is never a hold there when used as a debit...at least not from our bank, Wells Fargo.