Sheetz at 42W and Business 70 in Clayton

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Jun 24, 2014.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

#4, 5, & 6 here:
    https://townofclaytonnc.app.box.com/s/ai0gcfucexcity83cd4y

Sheetz moved one step closer last night to becoming a reality at the US 70, 42 W intersection. The public hearing is scheduled for July 7th at the 6:30PM and then Town Council takes the final vote. Check out the highlights and map of the intersection.

Google Map location - https://goo.gl/maps/LfiFq

I suppose this is really 42E? But Clayton called it 42W. I just copied their announcement.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

lol 3 within a few miles of each other

3. jesse82nc

Actually, as it sits now, between the Sheetz on 42 in Fuquay and the Sheetz listed here, that would make a potential 5 Sheetz on the same road in less than 20 miles. Or 4 within 10 miles (NC50 to this new one). This is assuming one eventually gets built at NC50 and NC42.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I think I recall reading on this board years ago that they (DOT) was going to extend Guy road to butt into Rte 70 at 42E. I guess right at Rose street.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  5. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

That is in Clayton strategic growth plan.

6. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

I noticed today that they had installed the Sheetz camera at 70/42E. That's typically the first step in their building process.

7. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member

I thought they had 12 months to get the project going or the SUP Special Use Permit would expire It has been more than that.

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

SHEETZ
    Clayton, NC (Johnston Co.) Rose St. and U.S. Hwy. 70
    ESTIMATED AMOUNT: $2,000,000
    CONTRACTING METHOD: GC Bids (By Invitation Only)
    BIDS DUE:
    August 20, 2015 (To Owner)
    Start Date: September 21, 2015
    OWNER: Sheetz Inc

9. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

This morning at 10:15 AM this location was packed with vehicles. mainly pickup trucks. Maybe subcontractors?

jesse82nc likes this.
  10. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I have been in sheetz 2 times. in Fuquay and at the airport. why so such animosity towards the place

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My wife is praying they come to the Clinton or Fayetteville areas.

12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

What sorta Prayer is that?

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

She's into Earth Based religion so it could be just about anything! :D

14. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Where do you see "animosity" in this thread?

15. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

maybe not this particular thread, but others have condemned sheetz for being every few miles

16. jesse82nc

There's a Hess or Exxon every few miles as well. What's the difference. Personally, I would prefer Sheetz, better prices, more quality control over their fuel, better food, American family owned, etc.

markfnc and PoohBear like this.
  17. markfnc

I don't understand that either. Clean bathrooms, clean store, really good selection, decent prices, friendly people, gas is as cheap as any in the area its in. Makes all others step up their game. no downside,

jesse82nc likes this.
  18. jesse82nc

Sheetz, Inc was founded by Bob Sheetz in 1952 when he purchased one of his father's five dairy stores located in Altoona, Pennsylvania. In 1961, Bob hired his brother Steve to work part-time at the store. All Sheetz stores are company-owned-and-operated. The company has no plans to sell franchises. To this day, Sheetz maintains a family business with five family members serving on the Executive Committee. I don't you can say that any other gas station is more American than Sheetz, their family is what the American Dream is all about.

Their stores are the cleanest of any gas station around and the food is better than any one I have been to as well. They also pay their employees very well. $10.75 is not bad for working in a gas station (this is the one on 42 and Cornwallis):
    upload_2015-9-9_10-54-50.png

They also lease their own fleet of tanker trucks, which are kept at very high standards. Those that think that when they buy gas from Exxon, they are getting high grade Exxon gas might want to rethink that. I saw the one at 40/42 getting a delivery from "Fuel Depot" the other day, they sell gas in bulk in Raleigh. Take that for what it's worth.

Terry B., Hught and Rockyv58 like this.
  19. markfnc

Sheetz also does not take out loans to build new stores. they pay for all construction with cash on hand. No debt.

20. markfnc

As far as so many in the same area, once Marathon completes the buy out of Hess, there will be 3 marathon's all at 40/42.