Shoe Drive - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by n4tcp, Mar 5, 2011.

1. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

Turner Memorial Baptist Church is running a shoe drive for the entire month of March and we REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!

BEFORE you click 'back' --- we're not looking for money or time. We're just looking for old shoes. You know, the ones you never wear anymore, the ones in the kids closet or the ones in the garage. It's a GREAT WAY to clean up and you'll be helping some child that has no shoes to wear (can you imagine??)

So let us help you clean out your house! Gather them all up and put in one of our dropboxes. There is a dropbox at TMBC on Hwy 50 or at Fit For Life health club at 40/42 behind the Food Lion. Details are here: http://www.4042.com/cal/calendar.php?mode=view&id=3006

THANKS FOR HELPING!! :hurray:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  2. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

I'll go through my closet. :)

3. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I was just gathering all of our old shoes today. I will definitely give to your organization. We have a lot of boy's and men's shoes that need a new home, most gently worn, but in good shape. I wish you the best for a successful shoe drive!

4. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

thanks for letting us know! I'm cleaning out closets this weekend & with 9 of us, I'm sure we'll find some somewhere. I've been too places where kids have no shoes or shoes way too small. My daughter came home w/ shoes that were 3 full sizes too small. she was walking w/ her toes curled under. Old shoes DO make a difference for many around the world. Thanks for doing this guys.

stephanie-- mom to 7

5. mvenito@nc.rr.com

mvenito@nc.rr.com Well-Known Member

I've got a bag full already for you. I'll drop it off this week. :)

6. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

Thanks to everybody who is helping out. You guys are AWESOME!

7. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

One more thing... if you can't easily get to the dropbox locations, you still may be able to help.

If you live in the Clayton / Garner / McGees / Angier area and can't get to a dropbox, call me. We'll try and arrange to pick up your donation.

I can be reached at 919-491-5630.

Thanks again.
    Ken

8. Casceysmom

Casceysmom Guest

I will be donating too. Now I need to find a womans shelter that can use some clothes. I remember someone posted something awhile ago about a place in Clayton. I am cleaning closets and need some place that can really use them.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

perfect timing - i am in the process of cleaning out my closet and had to promise my DH i would get rid of some of the shoes in there:lol:

10. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

Are they only taking children's shoes or adults also?

Thanks.

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

awesome! I have TONS!

thanks for posting!

12. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

Adults, kids, teens... we'll take them all. Thanks!

13. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

How long will you will be accepting donations? I probably wont be able to get around to it until the weekend. :)

14. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

The shoe drive runs through the end of March. We area accepting any size, type or condition, for kids, adults or teens. (<- especially for teens which is the largest group in need).

One more thing... if you can't easily get to the dropbox locations, you still may be able to help.

If you live in the Clayton / Garner / McGees / Angier area and can't get to a dropbox, call me. We'll try and arrange to pick up your donation.

I can be reached at 919-491-5630.

Thanks again.
    Ken

15. mvenito@nc.rr.com

mvenito@nc.rr.com Well-Known Member

dropped off a bag today and I only did one closet!!! :) more is on the way....spring cleaning!!I also have a ton of clothes and would love to give them to someone who can really use it and not sell them. I know I know do a search - you've beat this to death.:lol:

16. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far

Just a reminder, we are collecting through the end of the month. Still plenty of time to clean out those closets! Don't forget to look in the mud room and the garage. Get your kids to clean their rooms too! :lol:

17. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

Just picked up the donations from the drop boxes today. All I can say is YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! :grouphug: I'm really impressed with the donations so far.

With the recent disaster in Japan, the number of those in need just grew. Remember that the drive runs through the end of the month.

Keep up the good work!

18. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

Exactly 2 weeks to go in the shoe drive. The response has been great. Hopefully they will keep on coming!

Women's shoe donations are outpacing men's by about 8 to 1! (yes guys, that IS a challenge :p )

Happy St. Patrick's day to everyone :mrgreen:

19. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

So with 1 week to go on the shoe drive, I went to Fit For Life tonight to check the donation box and it was empty. :cry:

You all have done great and been very generous - we really appreciate it. I'll report back here the total collected after the drive is over.

BUT (come on, you KNEW there'd be a 'but')... Are all the closets cleaned out? Kids rooms? Garage? The weathers nicer now - don't you need to really finish up the spring cleaning?

I'm asking if you could make one more check. If you find any extra shoes (even those new sneakers you bought that don't quite fit you right), PLEASE bring them to the drop box at Fit for Life or TMBC church.

Thanks again to everyone who helped. :)

20. n4tcp

n4tcp Active Member

FINAL TOTALS

HUGE thanks to everyone who donated to the shoe drive. We turned in a total of 312 pair.

154 Womens
    55 Kids
    103 Mens

Church youth turned in 92 pair, the other 220 came from YOU!! :hurray:

IMPORTANT NOTE: We're doing this again in the fall. So as your kids trash their shoes over the summer and as you go out to buy new school shoes, DON'T THROW THE OLD ONES AWAY (Please!)..

Save em in a bag and watch here - we'll post the donation info on 4042.

Thanks for your time and donations. There are over 300 people you'll probably never meet that really love you for what you did. :cheers: