Sign language coffee group, 10-15

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ljk, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Several people have asked about the Deaf/ASL meetup group.... (this is great for kids in HS ASL!)

We are meeting Saturday Oct 15th at 1. We meet the third Sat of every month at Aversboro Coffee in Garner.

This month we are having a group from Blended Fellowship come and put on a presentation (in ASL) from their upcoming performance.

Everyone is welcome!!

http://www.meetup.com/Deaf-Meet-up-of-Garner/

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Where is Avesboro Coffee? We may actually be able to make this one. We're in that area for soccer and the game will end about 12:45. May see you there. Is this in a particular shopping center?

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (10 on Oct. 14th!)

3. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

YAYAYAYAYA. I have not seen Nik in so long!!

It is in a little 2 story strip mall just around the corner from the Library. (if you are going away from 70). Brick building the left (same side as library). It also has State Farm and a dentist and a restaurant in it.

1401 Aversboro Road Suite 103, Garner, NC

I hope you can make it!!!

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

5. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Yes-- it is being 'phased' out through time. There was a black-deaf school in Garner and they used Black ASL. So I still run into some older folks who use it locally! It confuses me for a second!! I am like "Hands are moving, but no words are coming out!" LOL

Rural older folks sometimes use "home signs' They look like real signs but they were just gestures invented at home. Their loved ones could understand them, but us interpreters are left out in the cold!!

(We still meet the 3rd Saturday of every month for coffee!!)

6. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

Blended Fellowship is awesome! They were at our revival a few weeks ago. The church does great work for their community and in every way helping the blind and deaf.