Smart Speakers (Amazon, Google, Sonos, Apple.....)

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Curious as to how smart speakers are making inroads to our daily lives.

If you have one,

A: Which brand?
    B: How many?
    C: What do you mostly use it for? (Stream music, weather, news, family communications, etc.)
    D: Any other thoughts/comments

My answers:

A: Amazon Echo Dot
    B: Four
    C: Weather forecast, answer questions, stream music/internet radio stations
    D: Have them scattered around the house. Very convenient and impressed with how well they work but leery about their invasive nature.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

A: 1 Amazon Echo Dot 2 Amazon connected thermostats ( Ecobee 4) & 2 Google minis
    B: Five total
    C: Weather forecast, answer questions, shopping list, emergency 911 access, stream music/internet radio stations
    D: Have them scattered around the house. Very convenient and impressed with how well they work and also leery about their invasive nature.

Webmaster likes this.
  3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Google Minis
    Music streaming
    Use them for speaker groups to stream music to multiple rooms at the same time

Webmaster likes this.
  4. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm too paranoid, but I'm way too cautious to even consider getting a "smart speaker".

Electronic eavesdropping via these devices is certainly possible, and I can't help but believe that somewhere buried deep into the pages-long EULA, the user gives permission for that to happen (really...how many people really read those things all the way through?). If it's possible, and can be monetized, it seem almost a certainty that such a thing is happening.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Have about 4 of them at home and I love asking Alexa to fart, and she has a variety of them.

Also sometimes used to play radio and podcasts

Harvey, lgb0250, Auxie and 2 others like this.
  6. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Bose Soundtouch 10

We listen to a station in Deluth MN on Sundays to hear a show called The Acoustic Storm. The Bose lets us hear internet stations. At the time we got it, Sonos did not allow that.

Webmaster likes this.
  7. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

The "Alexa, insult me" skill has some pretty funny results also!

Auxie, Sherry A. and Hught like this.
  8. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Having both the Amazon and Google products, do you have a preference? Pros/cons?

9. Wayne Stollings

Google has the ability to contact 911 which is a great feature, but we had Amazon products first and tend to use them more. The ability to have a shopping list generated while you work in the kitchen is one of the better features then our smart phones have the list when we go shopping. The connection to the thermostats is great and with the remote sensors we have seriously cut down on the hot and cold spots. I can check the temperature for every sensor on my phone and make any adjustments that I want.

Webmaster likes this.
  10. Wayne Stollings

Note that I installed the Google minis in the two most often used bathrooms in case of a fall in the shower or tub. My wife had an uncle who fell in their living room and laid there for hours before he was found and taken to the hospital. With the Google if someone falls and is conscious they can access 911 by voice only.

Hught and Webmaster like this.
  11. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Good idea! I have an Alexa Dot in the bathroom - mostly used for temp and weather forecast and listening to WPTF traffic reports in the morning.

I have the DOTS paired with my Homeseer automation controller to provide functions based on voice commands....currently just using for lights an door locks, but your post has me thinking of some ways to use for safety purposes. Hmmmm.....

Wayne Stollings, Auxie and Hught like this.
  12. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

We have two of the Dots that sit around collecting dust basically. My wife streams music on one in her quilting room. Other than that they don’t get much use here.

The fault is in trying to get old dogs to learn new tricks. They are great for grocery lists. The problem is getting my wife to use them for that. She would rather still write it down! At least I’ve found an app that has a note taking feature that can be shared across our iPhones and iPads! Tiny steps here.

13. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I'll agree with BobF. Not having one in my house. They will have to be content with following my actions from my phone.

BobF likes this.
  14. Wayne Stollings

and from the laptop camera ... and on line ..... and hacking security cameras ..... so they can phish us better.

15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

None. Just not sure yet if any of them will try to murder me in my sleep. #robotoverlords

Hught likes this.
  16. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I have tape on my lap top camera.

BobF likes this.
  17. Wayne Stollings

18. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

"I always feel like somebody's watching me." - Rockwell

Auxie likes this.