Smithfield... Crooked?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, May 15, 2011.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Why has this not been discussed?

The original article is no longer here, but states that the Town manager welcomed/requested an external audit - that he had no idea. Why is he put on admin leav and these Town employees are keeping their jobs AND their raises until the end of June? REALLY? A town council that said NO raises, and is looking for budget cuts says "Ok, we'll let you keep your (29%) raises for another month or so and we'll scapegoat the Town manager instead of dealing with you?

Smithfield taxpayers...What do you think of this? C Campbell, of Smithfield herald - are you a reporter or a transcriptor? Why does nobody else find it interesting that Godwin *is* HR and payroll is being moved from HR to Finance because of this? And the payroll tech got an 8.9% raise? On what planet does a cash-strapped town dole out raises such as this? What kind of town employee in the know say "Yeah, thanks - I'll talk a 29.5% or 21.9%, or 17.5% or even 8.9% raise?" while others get NOTHING???

WTSB broke this story, you are slacking Smithfield Herald.

Something stinks in Smithfield. We won't even talk about that hole in the ground called SRAC.

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

It is called "Politics"

3. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

it is amazing how they think they can get away with such stuff-
    Government is just too big period- and town Gov's are very clicky- good 'ole boy and girl network.

4. Cleopatra

Really? I call it stealing. lol

grandma4, that is what piqued my interest. This is happening on such a small local level (and so blatant, too).

NBC has picked up the story as of Friday, even following Debbie Godwin around. lol

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/may...lerk-refuses-comment-pay-raise-is-ar-1032098/

They are incorrect on Merrit's pay raise. He was awarded a 21 percent pay increase ($14,998.88). Looks like a typo, calling it 1500.00

5. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

Sounds like a situation of "When the cat's away the mice will play." If they are found guilty of fraudulently submitting paperwork that resulted in their raises, they should be fired and taken to court.

Of course, I wonder, why switch payroll to finance department when the Finance Director is one of the big ones involved?

6. Cleopatra

Exactly, it sounds like they are trying to sweep it under the rug. Now that NBC has picked it up, maybe it will be taken more seriously. I think they should call in the SBI and have a criminal investigation.

7. Cleopatra

Don't you wish you could just sell some vacation time whenever you wanted? Or, why I choose to live in the county.... But now, I wonder what the county is up to....

http://www.wtsbradio.com/pages/localnews.html

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

http://www.theherald-nc.com/2011/06/12/18874/clerk-resigns-amid-scandal.html

In what world do you get to rob the "company" blind in unauthorized raises, unused leave, and mileage reimbursement, then get caught, then be allowed to resign and apply for jobless benefits???? I don't know this person, but it seems that the town leaders are afraid of her, or what she may do or say. Makes one wonder...well, never mind. I hope, at least, the ESC will deny her application for jobless benefits and leave that money for people who do everything right and lose their jobs through no fault of their own. Unfreakingbelievable.