Smithfield issues boil water notice

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gcoats3, Jun 29, 2010.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Since Clayton gets our water from Smithfield does this apply to Clayton?
    ====================================
    Smithfield officials are asking residents to boil water before drinking it.

On Tuesday, the town reported that total coliform bacteria was detected in water samples collected from the water system serving the Town of Smithfield in Johnston County.
    Coliforms are bacteria that are naturally present in the environment and are generally not harmful themselves, according to a press release. However, coliforms are an indicator that other, potentially harmful, bacteria may be present.
    As a precaution until additional testing can confirm the absence of coliform bacteria, the Town of Smithfield advises consumers to boil all water used for human consumption (including drinking, cooking, brushing teeth, making ice and washing hands) or use bottled water.
    Vigorous boiling for one minute should kill any disease-causing organisms that may be present in the water. This advisory remains in effect until further written notification is issued. Officials say they'll send out an update by late Wednesday.

2. mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

I am wondering the same thing about the Cleveland area. DH says we are not affected but I am using bottled water for us and the doggies just to be on the safe side. Anybody out there know for sure? Thanks!

3. alen

alen Well-Known Member

I live in the Cleveland area, just called them, and according to JoCo public utilities, only the town of Smithfield is affected.