Special Olympics

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Special Olympics is tomorrow at Smithfield-Selma High School. If you can, come on and cheer on the athletes. It is always such an upbeat atmosphere. Our daughter is participating tomorrow & hopes to win a medal. Weather is supposed to be gorgeous! Just wanted to give you all a heads up. If you see one of these athletes out & about, PLEASE congratulate them or say something to them. It really makes their day and they just light up. Typically, the athletes like to wear their medals all day long. Last year, we took our daughter to Dairy Queen at 40/42 afterwards. There was a JC Sherriff there. He made my daughter's day. Gave her a badge and congratulated her too. Just was really nice of him to take the time to do that. So, if you see one of these children, take the time to stop. Trust me, it DOES make a difference.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

2. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Do you have the start time or a link to a schedule? Is it after school gets out or during school hours? Thank you and I hope your daughter wins a medal!

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I *think* the opening ceremony is@ 9am. To piggy back on what OP said, the Special Olympics is FABULOUS! I Love to see these kids beaming with pride! Many years ago, I taught a self-contained class and we went to the SO. One of my girls crossed the finish line of her race with tears streaming down her face because she was so proud! Of course can't let anyone cry alone so I looked like a blubbering fool the rest of the day! I LOVED it!

The main point of my post...the more people in the audience cheering them on, the more it means to them. If you want your heart warmed, come spend an hour or 2 out there!

4. Abdulina

Opening ceremonies are at 10am. Westview I know is leaving at 9am and getting settled around 9:30 at SSS. Each school will have little tents up where the athletes gather. It really is nice to watch. It is VERY well organized every year. Sun is going to be out & skies clear. 75 & sunny. You couldn't ask for better weather than that. So seriously, if you have an hour, just stop by. Say hello to some athletes. It is truly the only time all year that some of them feel like they belong. The smiles are contagious and the stories you hear will melt your heart. My daughter can not wait. Good luck Alyona! Thanks for letting me share about the event.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

5. aprilt01

aprilt01 Well-Known Member

My brother participated in the Special Olympics several years ago and it was the best feeling to go watch those "kids" accomplish the smallest thing. You had no stress, you had no worries...seeing those kids smile and beam with pride just made you forget everything. It is truly an unbelievable feeling. Good luck to your daughter!

6. Abdulina

SO much fun today! Could not have asked for better weather. Atmosphere was fantastic! CVS even donated a bag of gummy bears to all the athletes. Now for what you wanted to hear. If not, I'm telling you anyway b/c I get to brag. LOL. Our daughter took silver in the 50m run and bronze in the softball throw. She is SO proud of herself and happy. Last year she received two ribbons so to get two medals made her day. She even got to go out to eat after the Olympics. Wonderful time and thanks for all those who support Special Olympics!

Stephanie-- mom to 7

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray: So glad she had a great day!!

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Congrats to your daughter!!! The SO is such a great organization ... I love going to events to cheer on the athletes. The INCREDIBLE determination and sportsmanship and spirit is just amazing .. I usually laugh and cry and cheer myself silly.