Speedway

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed that once wilco Hess at 40/42 became a Speedway their prices went up to match the gas prices on the other side of 40? They were usually at least a nickel a gallon cheaper

2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

A while back, it was written that Marathon had bought Hess gas station business. Both those were going to change to Marathon by 2016. I wonder if Marathon sold the one to Speedway?

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Marathon I believe owns speedway. Speedway did buy out Wilco Hess a yr or so ago.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You are right!

Bet you never would have expected me to say that. :D

5. Rockyv58

What the woman in the Speedway told me is all the Wilco Hess Travel Center (like the one across the street) will be converted to the Speedways next year

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Fayetteville has pretty much gone through the conversation.

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

8. Rockyv58

So if I read the article correct, Marathon owns Speedway

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the case. My company occasionally does work for Marathon and they do own them.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the case. My company occasionally does work for Marathon and they do own them.

11. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Marathon is a gasoline supplier and owns the Speedway gas station company. Sheetz gets its gas from various suppliers, sometimes even Marathon. Marathon owns two terminals in Selma at the tank farm. They also have their brand available at another terminal there.

12. Rockyv58

Just playing devils advocate here but Marathon now owns 3 of the 7 gas stations at the 40/42 intersection

jesse82nc likes this.
  13. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

That's some solid math skills..

14. jesse82nc

I think there's another 4 or so on 70 around Clayton as well (from the Bus 70 intersection up to Walmart).

15. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

16. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

After BP's struggles in the Gulf, Marathon bought the BP terminal in Selma. It is now Marathon #2 Selma. So unless they have major problems there all BP Gas comes from that terminal. Go figure. I have learned so much as a gas hauler.

17. jesse82nc

I think so many people don't understand that the majority of gas stations all get their fuel from the same depots. And just because you shop at a BP doesn't mean the fuel comes from a BP refinery. The only thing you can be sure of is the quality of the station itself and how the station transports their fuel. Some stations rely on 3rd party tanker trucks while others have their own. Generally speaking, newer and better maintained stations will have slightly less contaminated fuel coming out of the pump. But at the end of the day, the only thing that is different from BP, Marathon, Sheetz, etc, is the price.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yep, sometimes just a gallon or two of an additive to a tanker and that is all they do to make it "their brand".

19. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Marathon does not sell gasoline but tanks filled with freedom ......

20. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

That made me chuckle.