SSS to get the IB Program ???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kelyel, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

SSS (Smithfield-Selma HS) is on track to get the IB International Baccalaureate Program per Chris Godwin at the Monday night AIG meeting.
    Not sure WHEN this will happen - it was discussed as part of the required AIG plan, I got the impression within the next 5 years.

Chris did say the IB Program would be OPEN to all HS students across JoCo. But the student would have to qualify & be excepted.

Does this sound like SSS will become a MAGNET HIGH SCHOOL? Why SSS when there are 2 NEW high technology HS in this area. Is it just the central location or is it a move to diversify SSS.

Discuss........

2. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I was unable to attend the meeting. Are the notes or powerpoint from the presentation posted anywhere? DOes anyone want to post the key points or changes?

3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Kel,

where is info on AIG meetings posted? With the AIG center clsoed i guess i'm out of the loop.

4. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

We rec'd a Robo-call from our Principal about the meeting. It was Monday @ CvHS.

The meeting was part of the REQUIREMENTS for an AIG program. (Required by the SDPI, I think.)

Chris Godwin conducted the meeting & read his power point notes to everyone. This meeting was -very- similar to the ones held last spring.

Where to get the info if you were not there??? No idea.... also not sure if other meeting will be held around the county.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Isn't Triple S already diverse what with the Latin Kings, Crips, Bloods...

6. Well Cleo, we are all not as privileged to be in a great area like the " Cleveland" area. It shows how much ignorance you have for calling out the Smithfield-Selma people without knowing for yourself. There are some GREAT students at SSS, and they get a bad rap for a vast minority at SSS because of people like you. Hate to tell honey but there are problems at EVERY school, even in Rams country. An IB program is what this community/school needs to change the perception people like you have.

7. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

I think it's good that our county is looking into starting an IB program. But, being an avid supporter of the AIG Center, I think that was a good basis for starting a magnet school which could have incorporated an IB program as it grew. Instead, our county used funding as the main reason to close the AIG Center while at the same time proposed starting an IB program that is going to need extra funding as well.

Now that my kids are at NCS, I am happy and thrilled to see them learning and growing at a much faster pace than they were at the public schools. I really think the school board needs to look at what is being done at NCS and make some major changes to how things are being done at the schools they make policy for.

8. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

9. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

we got a call too. other 1/2 forgot to tell me about it. maybe next time.

10. Cleopatra

*snort I don't live in Ram country, or in Cleveland. I am also well aware of the population at SSS. Well aware lol Of course there are good kids, there are also plenty of gang members thugs and wanna be thugs.

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

well dang, that was a mild reply coming from you:jester::lol:

12. Cleopatra

On my phone :)

13. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Ha! We think alike. Cleo handles herself well, though...mild or spicy. :lol:

14. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

back to the topic.....

Kill off the AIG Center (served Elementary Schools aged students)
    for many Various reasons, not LACK of "Smart Kids"
    Use $$$ to begin an International Baccalaureate Program at SSS
    (to Serve High School aged students)
    Continue to under-fund Middle College, which now serves many of the students that might be drawn to the IB program. (that have transportation, goal oriented, AIG identified,etc.)

Does this look like another JoCo Schools C.O. plan to shift around the tax dollars yet again try something different while turning their backs on existing programs?