Stained Glass

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by All Children First, Apr 20, 2008.

1. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

Would there be an interest in our area for people to learn how to make stained glass suncatchers/small panels?

2. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

Wow, I used to do stained glass(suncatchers, panels and windows)...the REAL stuff with glass and lead and solder, not the paint stuff... which are you talking about? Depending on scheduling, I think it would be fun! (now, where would we get supplies...I need some flux that was made in this century...I'm sure mine's icky now)

3. All Children First

The real stuff...I worked for our family's stained glass studio for 12 years as a designer and instructor. I finally got my workshop set up out back, and wondered if anyone would be interested in learning how to do the copper foil technique.

I have TONS of glass, patterns, and some solder...the only other supplies needed would be the foil. I can get that from Raleigh.

If you've done it before, I could teach you how to do flat panel lampshades. I don't have any molds for Tiffany lamps anymore.

4. gracey1314

gracey1314 Well-Known Member

i would totally be interested

5. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Ohh me too if it was scheduled where hubby could babysit... I dont have a creative bone in my body, but I would love to learn.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Threw my glass and copper tape away a few years ago! :x

7. All Children First

One of the best things about stained glass is that it is a craft. You don't have to be artistic to do it since others have created patterns for you! With 3 kiddos of my own, I was thinking Saturday or Sunday afternoons for a couple of hours at a time.

Hught, I had to throw out all my foil last year....it wouldn't stick to the glass anymore :-(

8. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

How expensive of a hobby is it?

9. All Children First

It depends on how "into" it you get. The equipment is where it can get pricey depending on what you get. Some people prefer to get bandsaws/diamond edge saws that cut and smooth the glass edges. They're really expensive; however, a simple grinder is about 1/6 the cost of a saw. That, a glass cutter, and a soldering iron (100 watt) are it for equipment, and they last forever. I have two grinders and two soldering irons for anyone I teach, so you won't have to buy any equipment unless you decided you wanted to do it at home.

(When we had the studio, that's how we ran our classes. Several places required their students to buy all the equipment plus the glass, foil, solder, etc. Mom and I agreed that people should be able to try it out first and see if they want to do that.)

For a beginning class, which would consist of 8 hours and two finished pieces (a suncatcher and a small square panel), I will charge $65 which includes ALL materials you would need. Of course, the eight hours would not be all at once!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I'd be interested! I took a class a few years ago in Raleigh, at the stained glass supply store over by the Red Lobster, Kanki... I think its off of Wake Forest Rd, just after the Hooters... I made a few pieces. I have a piece that needs some help, I was trying to do a panel for my dad, its of a golfer... and I never finished it. I have all my own tools, my other problem was that I really have no where to do it at my house. I tried to use my screen porch, but weather is to big a variable, too hot/too cold... and my cats would get into everything. But I loved doing it!!

11. pikapp691

pikapp691 Well-Known Member

I would be interested as well. If you do start a class send me a PM.

Thanks

12. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I would be interested also. Please let me know when.

13. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Sounds fun! Depending on when you have the class, I'd enjoy learning it!

14. All Children First

I will pm everyone who is interested as soon as I have dates ready. If you CANNOT meet on a Saturday and Sunday afternoons, please let me know. Wednesdays may open up during the month of May. I really need to keep it at no more than 3 people per class just to make sure there's lots of elbow room for us all!

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Now ya know.

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

All Children First are you still around and are you still doing stained glass??

17. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so bummed to see that this thread is from years ago. Did the class ever happen? I would LOVE to learn how to make stained glass things.

I need a hobby. Seriously. I do.

18. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I'd like to take a fused glass class,if there's any in this area please let me know,thanks!

19. All Children First

I am still around! I would love to teach stained glass. I would need to check my kilns (I haven't fused in a few years) to make sure they are all still working before I would know if I can do a fusing class. (They are small kilns, so I can only do small projects...we never rewired to have the 220V outlets for the big kilns!

One thing I will have to check is the cost of solder. Last year it increased quite a bit so I am not sure of the cost of the class yet.

20. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Sounds great!
    I have a large kiln which is wired for 220V but it's not a digital kiln so I'm not sure if it would be suitable for fusing glass.