Stench on I-440

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Question for anyone that has traveled I-440 east bound where the 64 bypass comes in. Right under that intersection where the 64 bypass merges onto I-440 east bound there is such a stench. The building complex just under the ramp is not labeled on google maps. But the area stinks so much. Does anyone know what is causing it? Is that some sort of water treatment plant of something?

Thanks

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

pump station

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Yes. There's a major one tucked in under the bridge in that area.

4. Rockyv58

would the pump station cause all the smell or is it something else in the area causing it?

5. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

It's pumping human waste Rocky.

Rockyv58 and BuzzMyMonkey like this.
  6. BuzzMyMonkey

Oh yeah. Some are worst than others. Some may be set up with additives and filters to reduce the stench.

7. BuzzMyMonkey

I'm surprised the local expert hasn't taken this over yet,, to explain in detail why it has to smell so bad.

8. Rockyv58

That's what I was guessing.

9. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

There's also the city yard waste right there, too (just off of New Hope).... I'm sure that contributes to the odor.

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

It seems worse when the temperature goes up and down. The freeze/thaw cycle this time of year seems to make it worse. Was the same on I-40 East to Wilmington with all of the hog and chicken farms.

11. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

temperature / humidity holds the smell to the ground. Could be global change I guess. Kind of like sometimes smoke rises, sometimes it hugs the lay of the land. Ride a motorcycle in the cold, you'll feel what I'm talking bout.

poppin cork and Auxie like this.
  12. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Nope, that thing has stunk as long as I remember. There is currently a MAJOR improvement project along the sewer outfall that will culminate with upgrades to the lift station. Hopefully they will reduce the stink a bit. There were improvements done around 2005 that helped for a while.

http://crabtreepipeline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=12