Stocking Stuffers... Traditions?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Dec 9, 2010.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Do you have any traditions? I made all of our stockings and I made them just wide enough to squeeze in a DVD. Kinda slim, nothing can get past it. That's what I get for not using a pattern I guess. Too late now. The most special one belongs to DS1 made from maternity clothes I wore when I was pregnant with him. That really makes it his. They're all lined with an old linen table cloth that my FIL sat at every day to sip coffee and watch nature so they have a history as well. A little way of having him here I guess.. Anyway.. I was looking for ideas online for ideas other than the usual stuffers and I came across a site where people are posting their "traditions" from Christmas's past. This is one lady's account ...kinda sad and funny ..smart on the parents part I guess lol I guess the Rubik's Cube guaranteed them a longer sleep in time.

So do you have any traditions or good ideas? Ideas for smallish stockings?

2. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Every year when I was a kid, there would be an orange (probably a luxury item back then in the middle of winter in the mountains :lol:), a Lifesavers candy Storybook, and a new pair of gloves or mittens. Those three things were always consistant from year to year. Some of the smaller items I've put into my kids' stockings are earrings or other jewelry, thin scarves, one-size-fits-all gloves, matchbox cars and toy figurines, giftcards, small bottles of lotions or perfumes, makeup, crazy socks, hair accessories, pocketknives, chapstick, gum, keychains, auto coasters, and little musical instruments like harmonicas,whistles, and kazoos (not recommended :?) I'm always looking for new ideas...:hurray: Our only stocking traditions are new gloves and a Barnes and Noble gift card for each of them (a great place to go to get out of the house after Christmas and there is always something there that each person likes whether it is music, movies, books, games, art supplies, games, or coffee and treats)

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I always got oranges. Hated oranges. Pecans. Hated pecans. And hard candy that stuck to the stocking. :ack: lol

I've got a couple of Swiss Army (hunting) knives, I'll probably do candies, pencils an ornament, maybe start a tradition there, then when they're old and gray like me they will have them to put on their tree... wrapped cookies maybe.. blistex lip balm, so they can stop using mine :ack: lol, and the usual giant candy cane... maybe even some pecans and an orange. ... my stockings sound boring ...

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I shove anything I can find in there, LOL. Last year the little holder thingy broke off!! I do underwear!!! DS hates it, but I laugh. Candy, hot wheels, handheld games, books, small gifts, I load it up. One of my favorite things about Christmas morning for DS.:jester:

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I always give a toothbrush for the season, toothpaste and anything I can find that is small and has the season on it. I do the same thing for Easter. Twice a year a new toothbrush. I also give a bookstore gift certificate and now that mine is older gift certificates to the movies. I, of course, want to go once to the movies. haha And like everyone else an orange!!

Sherry

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I would get Andes Mints, I LOVE them things.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Target has Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer chapstick in their dollar aisle for stockings. They have Rudolph and Hermie.

I do candy, and little trinkets - maybe one "real" gift.

8. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Brothers and sisters all got a flashlight in their stocking every year. Don't know why, but I've been giving my poor wife one every Christmas for 25 years. i don't mess with tradition.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

that sounds like me, when they were kids it was mostly candy with an apple or orange on the bottom with some mixed nuts to take up room. Then as they got older, i added things like razors, deodorant, etc that teenage boys can never have too much of with maybe one video game or something small. Now that they are all grown, it is all candy and God forbid if as old as they are they do not get their stocking on Christmas morning:lol::lol::lol:

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I always put a funny gag gift in each stocking! As the kids have become adults they think I am getting crazier and crazier each Christmas. I already got the gag gifts for this year. Something to make em laugh!