Stop my cursor from sticking, please

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by nsanemom22, Jan 28, 2010.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I went to rollingstone.com and it started sticking there. I did a virus scan and it found a trojan. Troj/PDFJs-FY is what came up. I quarantined it. ...cuz I don't know what else to do with it. The cursor is still sticking. What do I do now? The computer is only ...3 months old?. Pretty new. Please help!

2. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

Troj/PDFJs-FY is a malicious PDF.

http://mbam.malwarebytes.org/program/random.php

1. Download Malwarebytes.
    2. Install it.
    3. Update either at the end of the installation or after running it for the first time.
    4. Run a full system scan.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  3. nsanemom22

I downloaded it. When I clicked to run it I got a small window that said Error code:707 (3,0)

:confused: :cry:

4. FoxChassis

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

If that didn't work, if you have a wireless keyboard you might have to change the batteries?

Had to do that on my wireless KB before.

Psst.... I'm not a computer guru, so I may be completely off my rocker. :lol:

6. nsanemom22

I got Malwarebytes working but when it scans it shows no problems.

No batteries HG, it's plugged in. Keyboard and mouse.

7. FoxChassis

Did you follow that post @ bleepingcomputer.com, and if so, what process(es) did you shut down?

Did you allow MB to update before you did a scan?

Did you do a Full scan, and not a Quick scan?

8. nsanemom22

Did it and it found

Hijack.DisplayProperties
    Registry Data
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChange

This is what is running. I don't know what to shut down. CPU usage is zero (don't think for one minute that I know what I'm talking about, because I don't)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  9. FoxChassis

In just that list I see some things that may be a problem with CPU and memory usage. One that may be a potential security problem. Some of it doesn't need to be running all the time, and some not at all.

What are your system specs?...

operating system (Vista, etc.)?
    operating system version (Basic, etc.)?
    how much system memory (RAM)?
    do you have 'on-board' video or an add-on video card?
    how large is the hard drive and how much free space is left?

Is that all the processes running or just from User Name "Home"? There is a check box at the bottom of Task Manager to 'Show processes from all users'. Please make sure that box is checked and re-post a screen-cap if it wasn't. (Warning: it may be a long list.)

Do you have HijackThis installed? If so, can you post a log file here?

10. nsanemom22

I don't know..it sounds familiar but I don't know what it is.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Pentium(R) Dual-Core
    CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz 2.49 GHz

RAM 4.00 GB

64 bit Operating System

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  11. FoxChassis

Thought you might have a memory problem with dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager), depending on the Windows Theme you were using, but your CPU is fairly robust and your memory is adequate.

The csrss.exe (Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem) process might be a problem, it depends on where it's running from....

1. In Task Manager, go to the Processes tab.
    2. Click 'View' in the Toolbar and then 'Select Columns'.
    3. Scroll down and check the 'Command Line' checkbox.
    4. Click OK.

Under the Command Line column, all instances of csrss.exe should be running from C:\Windows\system32\. If any of them are not, that's a problem.

HijackThis download: http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Run it and save your log file and post it here.

12. nsanemom22

Also, it does it in safe mode...I don't know if that matters... I've read a bunch of threads online concerning the same problem and everyone has ideas to fix the problem but no one has said it was ever finally fixed.

I don't know what it means but every time it starts and stops it makes the sounds as if some new device is being plugged in and out.

13. nsanemom22

They are running from C:\Windows\system32\

Downloaded but can't unzip. Don't have WinZip.

And now I have to go pick kids up from school... This is going to drive me absolutely, completely insane!

14. FoxChassis

It's a self-extracting file.

15. nsanemom22

[​IMG]
    That's what I get when I try to open it.
    Now it's freezing up for minutes at the time. Last count was nearly 4 minutes.

Thank you for all you are doing for me!

16. FoxChassis

17. nsanemom22

Ok... about to do that now.

I went to device manager. Opened Mice and Other Pointing Devices. Next window opens and says "device is working properly. Then info in device manager window begins to flash. The other window no longer says "Device is working properly" - Says mouse is not connected properly. Then window changed back to working properly.

I checked. It's connected properly.

I just went back to device manager and the info flashed as the computer sounded the usb connect/disconnect chime.

Also, an information bubble popped up from the bottom tool bar that said "USB Not Recognized" and something else that disapeared before I could click on it to get more info. The cursor was frozen and couldn't move.

18. nsanemom22

19. nsanemom22

Found a second PDF virus today and a Troj/JavaDl-D just now.

DH told me to take it to Geek Squad. Which is may be a sign of the second coming. He hates Geek Squad.

20. FoxChassis

You installed WinRAR and you still cannot run the self-extracting HijackThis.exe?

The mouse could be dying or you could be having USB (hardware or driver) problems. I just went through this with my optical USB mouse. There are two easy ways to check/fix that...

First would obviously be to change the mouse. If changing the mouse doesn't help, the second thing to do is to go into Device Manager (START > Control Panel > System and Security > Device Manager) and delete all of the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' at the bottom of the list of devices, and then reboot. All of the USB Controllers would be 'found' again and re-installed.

If neither of those two clears up the mouse freeze problem it may be related to the Trojans you're finding, or maybe something else. Regardless of the mouse freeze problem, these Trojans obviously aren't good and need to be removed. Are you finding these Trojans with the Webroot (SpySweeper) software you have installed or something else?

Would you have a problem sending me a Remote Assistance invitation?