Stove-burner problem

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jan 10, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Got a whirlpool stove,the kind with the glass top. Every time I brown meats like steak,roast,etc. the burner at first turns bright red and then periodically turns itself down so that I don't have the heat needed to brown it adequately,this morning it seemed like the whole process took for ever :banghead:
    I'd like to have a gas stove but my husband isn't too crazy about gas.

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Same here. DH complains about our glass top and swears the ONLY way to cook anything "perfectly" is on gas.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Gas is more of a safety hazard (grease fires).

4. AnnetteL

There certainly seem to be pros and cons about either electric or gas.
    Does everyone with an electric range deal with the same problem and if not -
    what brand/model do you have? ;)

5. AnnetteL

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Whirlpool Cleantop Electric

Don't do a lot of cooking but I have top notch pans & Pots which transfers heat very well and a cat iron pan that I use for Bacon (would have had one hell of a grease fire the other day if it was gas).

Have had no issues browning meats although the burners do cycle.

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I have a flat top electric stove and I HATE it. I will never have another one. They don't cook as evenly and they are a pain in the behind to clean.

8. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I thought that was how glass top ranges worked; heating and then not so not to shatter the top.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sounds normal to me. I have a smooth top Kenmore that is about 9 years old and it works fine. I use it for everything including pressure cooking with no issues.

I've had gas stoves before when DH was in the AF (base housing). I burnt EVERYTHING, LOL, for the first couple months. Also have to use a propane stove in the travel trailer and I hate it. Just not what I am used to, but at least I don't burn things anymore.

10. AnnetteL

:iagree:

11. oth

oth Guest

Cookware compatibility - see oven's owner's manual

This how the oven is designed to work.

However,

Most of the cooktops do this when the temperature gets too hot, to avoid damaging the cooktop.

Not all pots and pans are compatible with all types of cooktops.

When you purchase cookware, there are symbols on the box (of the cookware) that state what type of cook tops that pot (or pan) is designed for and will work for.

Some of my better stainless steel pots and pans will NOT work with my Bosch range.
    (It will cycle on/off and it may never boil water)

When I changed to different pots and pans, you still occasionally will see the range-top cycle, but it is a lot less.

It all depends on the heat transfer capability of the bottom of the pan (or pot) that you are using.

If you use a cheap aluminum pot or pan, you will probably see the cycling occur a lot less, and the pan (or pot) will get really hot in less than 60 seconds.

With the correct cookware, I can boil water in less than 3 mins.......if I use the wrong (incompatible) cook ware, it may take 12 mins to boil the same amount of water in the same size pot.

If you use a stainless pan, with a thicker bottom, it may take more than 3 mins before you can even feel the inside bottom of the pan feel warm to the touch.
    I have some commercial aluminum (non-stick) pans that get very hot in less than 30 seconds.

They do make stainless pots and pans that are compatible with glass top stoves.

I do understand that with a GAS Stove Top, you don't have to worry any of these issues.

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

There is a reason gas is used by professional chefs and in probably 90% of all resturants.